Exit sign

... there is a definite requirement in the 'rules' to keep the signage non confusing and is very acceptable to use non conforming signage for that purpose.
Another "Hmmm"!

There surely is surely something 'definitely not right' about the 'rules' if they have to say that non-conformity with the rules is acceptable if conforming with them would result in confusion, isn't there?? :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Another "Hmmm"!

There surely is surely something 'definitely not right' about the 'rules' if they have to say that non-conformity with the rules is acceptable if conforming with them would result in confusion, isn't there?? :)

Kind Regards, John
On the face of it, taking your comment out of any other context or conversations, I have to agree.

However real life is very complicated sometimes and there will always be situations where the rules don't quite work and adhering to the rules would be confusing and therefore life threatening. The exit signs are put up for safety reasons and would blatently contravine H&S law which makes it illegal to do something hazardous to others. Therefore a balancing act is sometimes required between rules and safety and this is incorperated into the rules about exit signs.

Sponsored Links
On the face of it, taking your comment out of any other context or conversations, I have to agree.
Quite.

My point was a generalisation, which I think must always be true - that one simply cannot have a "rule" (or regulation, or even law) which says "If complying/conforming with this rule causes confusion, you must not comply/conform with it". At the vey most, it then becomes 'guidance', not a 'rule'.
However real life is very complicated sometimes and there will always be situations where the rules don't quite work and adhering to the rules would be confusing and therefore life threatening.
Indeed - so they can only give 'guidance' or 'recommendations', in relation to common situations - and cannot (should not) attempt to create 'rules'. A 'rule' which can (or, in some circumstances, 'must') be broken is not really a 'rule' in my book!

Kind Regards, John

Who's confused? Seems to me that its you John.
Not at all. As I said, I would undoubtedly ignore any arrows unless they were telling me which way to go at a junction, so I personally don't care which direction they point.

The issue is all about others, and 'rules'.

Kind Regards, John

I’ve got an emergency light to replace, but I’m unsure as to which direction I should fit the arrow to point at.

The current convention in this building is an up arrow above a through door.

To use this fire exit, you must take three steps up, go through the door onto the external fire escape. Take two steps forward and then turn left and follow the staircase to the ground via another half landing and a 180° turn.

Which way would you fit the arrow?

I’ve removed the existing arrow so as not to influence your decision!

View attachment 219643

View attachment 219642

This pdf has the details held in BS5499-4:2013. No idea why road signs, airplane regs, French or German signs are quoted.

http://www.trafalgarfire.co.uk/_web...es/Guidance Fire Safety Signs and Notices.pdf

This pdf has the details held in BS5499-4:2013. No idea why road signs, airplane regs, French or German signs are quoted.
Good to see you, and I hope all is well with you and yours.

I would suggest that at least one of the reasons why those various other things (at least, the UK ones!) are being quoted (albeit not by me)) is probably that those are things which people are familiar with, so if 'Fire Safety Signs' were inconsistent with (or, worse, contradictory to) those things, there could presumably be resultant (potentially dangerous) confusion.

I doubt that many of the people who will ever need to use emergency routes/exists will ever have seen (or, in most cases, even heard of) BS5499-4:2013, so the contents of that, per se, will not assist the 'users'.

Kind Regards, John

My understanding is that a down arrow sh

The running man has a slightly rounded foot in one and also the gap between him and the door is slightly different. This is the actual genuine difference.
Is it one of those puzzles where you have to spot the differences? Should I look at the traditional favourites of numbers of coat buttons etc?

Actually Ive just noticed that his head is closer to the top of the doorway in the right illustration. Maybe it means no tall people to use the exit, or its a ban on banging your head as you run through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back