Exit sign

Sponsored Links
A laudable enough approach PROVIDED that it is done in such a way as to increase, rather the decrease, the number of people who can clearly understand what information is being conveyed to them. Symbols which are only fully understood by those who invented them and/or 'enforce their use' do not necessarily achieve that!

It's not a new issue .... When I was about 5 years old I had to wear a pair of ('National Health') glasses, because I "failed" an 'eye test' undertaken at school. Because we were deemed to be too young to be able to read the letters on standard "Eye Charts", instead they uses charts which had (very poor) drawings on animals on them. As I tried to explain to them, I could see all the drawings perfectly well, but some of the drawings were so bad/unclear that I could not make out which animals they were trying to depict! However, they ignored my protestations and sentenced me to 'look like a geek' for a year or so (until I was deemed old enough to be able to 'read letters') :)

Kind Regards, John
Not the first time I've heard this disaster. What I never got to the bottom of was how they arrived at the strength required.

Not the first time I've heard this disaster. What I never got to the bottom of was how they arrived at the strength required.
Well, I still have the glasses in question, and can't convince myself that they are anything but 'plain glass' - so maybe they had 'no strength' (but perhaps satisfied the eye tester's quota/target :) )

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Three out of 8 people who I quoted earlier didn't!

Kind Regards, John
I've missed that, a lots happened since my last viewing.

The 'rules' as I understand them are up for forwards and down for 'through here'.

So a sign above a door is down but a sign more than 1m ahead of a door or on the door itself is up... as I said "As I understand them" but there is the 'rule' that allows for deviation from the rules to avoid confusion.

I've missed that, a lots happened since my last viewing. The 'rules' as I understand them are up for forwards and down for 'through here'.
Hmmm - so what would "forwards through here" (which is what one virtually always wants) be, then, I wonder? :)
... but there is the 'rule' that allows for deviation from the rules to avoid confusion.
Another "Hmmm" !

Kind Regards, John

Well, I still have the glasses in question, and can't convince myself that they are anything but 'plain glass' - so maybe they had 'no strength' (but perhaps satisfied the eye tester's quota/target :) )

Kind Regards, John
In my case Nitty Nora established I had flat feet and put insoles in my shoes. The fact that Granddad, Mum & her 3 brothers & sister had flat feet went unheard. She placed ruddy great lumps in my shoes, oh sorry scrub that arch support insoles, and within 2 weeks I was taken to the doctor as I'd lost the ability to run and heading rapidly towards losing the ability to walk. Doctor looked at my shoes and asked Mum what the insoles were for but she knew nothing about them. He removed them and aimed for the rubbish bin, problem solved.

Hmmm - so what would "forwards through here" (which is what one virtually always wants) be, then, I wonder? :)

Kind Regards, John
Simple, read the whole post.
I've missed that, a lots happened since my last viewing.

The 'rules' as I understand them are up for forwards and down for 'through here'.

So a sign above a door is down but a sign more than 1m ahead of a door or on the door itself is up... as I said "As I understand them" but there is the 'rule' that allows for deviation from the rules to avoid confusion.

Simple, read the whole post.
I did read it - but the 'rules' as you cited them would, in themselves, mean that, strictly speaking "forwards and through here" would require both up and down arrows :)

Kind Regards, John

I did read it - but the 'rules' as you cited them would, in themselves, mean that, strictly speaking "forwards and through here" would require both up and down arrows :)

Kind Regards, John
That's like saying over and out.

That's like saying over and out.
It is - and most of those who have not been 'trained' will usually say that!

However, that's not really the point. If, as you implied, the 'rules' said that an instruction to "go forwards" had to have an Up arrow, and that the instruction (if above the door) to "go through here"! had to have a Down arrow, then "Go forwards through here" would logically (albeit very stupidly!) require both - with all the confusion that would cause!!

Kind Regards, John

As I said post 18, surely its not your problem, H&S or fire officer must make the decision

It is - and most of those who have not been 'trained' will usually say that!

However, that's not really the point. If, as you implied, the 'rules' said that an instruction to "go forwards" had to have an Up arrow, and that the instruction (if above the door) to "go through here"! had to have a Down arrow, then "Go forwards through here" would logically (albeit very stupidly!) require both - with all the confusion that would cause!!

Kind Regards, John
No it's through here until the next sign OR forwardsuntil the next sign, not both.

And despite any comments to the contrary I hay have alluded to, that is exactly how I erect temporary signage at events, both electric lit and passive. To date I've not had a single negative report from a licensing officer, council inspector, fire inspector or H&S.

No it's through here until the next sign OR forwardsuntil the next sign, not both.
Fair enough. I simply believed you when you wrote:
... and that what you went on to write subsequently was your interpretation of what those 'rules' meant. However, are you now saying that those were not merely 'your interpretations' but, rather, are actually part of 'the rules'?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough. I simply believed you when you wrote:
... and that what you went on to write subsequently was your interpretation of what those 'rules' meant. However, are you now saying that those were not merely 'your interpretations' but, rather, are actually part of 'the rules'?

Kind Regards, John
There are rules, quite clearly described in places but as has already been shown earlier there is an amountof interpretation and indeed there are a number of publications produced as guides and they do not all agree. Just the same as some posters on this forum have their own interpretations of BS7671. As mentioned before there is a definite requirement in the 'rules' to keep the signage non confusing and is very acceptable to use non conforming signage for that purpose.

As I said earlier, before the EU made it confusing it was easy; forwards was up [unless directing to stairs] and that even applied to our road signs, This:
upload_2021-1-24_1-57-38.png

would have looked more like this:
upload_2021-1-24_1-56-49.png
But there were not many overhead signs around that early
and even the arrow heads would not have been present on this:
upload_2021-1-24_2-7-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-24_2-12-59.png
    upload_2021-1-24_2-12-59.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back