Expanding Foam Copper Pipe

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read various comments on doing this and need some help.

I live in a flat which has shared heating, with a pipe running behind some kitchen cupboards and one into a utility cupboard in the lounge, both pipes coming from my neighbours property.

My neighbour has taken up weed and where the pipes go through the concrete wall there is a sizeable gap which seems to be letting smoke and smell through.

Unfortunately these pipes are behind other pipes which means my access is very limited so I would like to fill the gap around the pipes with expanding foam to hopefully block the fumes (and thus stop having to explain to my visiting family that I haven't taken up drug smoking).

Does anyone know if the foam will block the fumes, is it safe to use around the copper pipe and if not is there anything else I could use to fill the gap?

Sponsored Links
pretty sure expanding foam is corrosive to copper.

I doubt this is or ever was to building regs when the flats were built/converted - it could allow the spread of fire for a start. Do you have a landlord?

Sponsored Links
....My neighbour has taken up weed and where the pipes go through the concrete wall there is a sizeable gap which seems to be letting smoke and smell through....
That would be classed as Immediately Dangerous, which means compulsory disconnection.

pretty sure expanding foam is corrosive to copper.
Disregarding the questionable design issues; could the pipe(s) not be lagged or painted first to avoid the foam coming into contact with the copper while still solvent?
Then onto the installed issues; if the building is so severely lacking; surely it is up the the landlord to make good and safe? You have a specific unquestionable deficiency...

That would be classed as Immediately Dangerous, which means compulsory disconnection.

It's I.D. alright...Illegal Drugs..... nothing to do with gas regs, read the post.

If we report them then they will know who did it because they have no other neighbours, they also own their flat so would be difficult to get rid of.

The flat is in a purpose built block from the 70's and no flats have gas, electric only and the water system is centrally controlled with 2 pipes that run the length of the building (one at each end of the flat). These pipes carry hot water only and are what is causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back