Expanding Foam in Cavity Wall Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a landlord and my tenants experienced issues with damp on the inside of a bay window and it didn't seem like there was an issue with condensation or ventilation (as is usually the case). I noticed a crack where the bay window render meets the brickwork on the outside of the house and thought it may be causing the issue.

I thought I would fill the gap with an all-weather sealant in case this was the cause of the damp. The gap at the top (just above where the arrow is pointing) was fairly big (around 0.5-1cm) so I thought I would use some expanding foam first. Now, what I didn't realise was that the gap was essentially leading straight to the wall cavity so all of the foam just fell down (750ml can). I only then realised it may have actually been a big (and very silly) mistake which could potentially lead to more issues.

I wanted to know if this is something I should worry about and whether there is anything I should do now before I experience any issues with that?

Attachments

• 66839fd2-ffa9-4183-b049-b0d04c9d47b4_LI.jpg
    66839fd2-ffa9-4183-b049-b0d04c9d47b4_LI.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 355
Sponsored Links
so I thought I would use some expanding foam first. Now, what I didn't realise was that the gap was essentially leading straight to the wall cavity so all of the foam just fell down (750ml can).
into the cavity ? No worries loads of houses have foam filled cavities

Yes, or at least that's the only way I can explain it swallowing all of the foam. My thinking was that it could end up creating a 'connector' between the outside wall and the inside one, ultimately leading to more damp

You'll have to wait and see. It's the wrong foam for cavity fill

Cavity foam injection is a different foam, with different properties, expansion and cell formation (not hollow like this canned stuff)
You should have just pointed the gap up with mortar or a mastic

Sponsored Links
Your bay DPC is being bridged.
The bay render is in ground contact, and moisture is being pulled up the wall by capillary attraction - the dark smudges you can see at the base of the render are signs of damp.
You have a suspended floor, and its possible that the joist tails supported in the bay and along that frontage are being affected by penetrating damp.

Why not cut back the bay render 50mm above ground level, and post pics of the damp inside the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back