Expanding hard wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have had a hardwood flooring laid by a "craftsman" .Each strip of hardwood flooring boards were supposed to have been all nailed down but he nailed them randomly.
During the heatwave we had some weeks ago the boards expanded and 3 long strips pushed up and formed a ridge right in the middle of the room.

Is there a quick suitable solution to this?
Regards

Sponsored Links
Expanding during heatwave?
I've just checked our humidity chart: around 21 till 27 June high temperaturs, but normal humidity (between 58 and 66%).

Not sure what happened there! Was the moist content in the wood and in the underfloor checked?
If the underfloor was to wet, the higher temperature could have triggered extra condensation, resulting in cupping boards.

The wood flooring was bought from floors-to-go and I suppose the moisture content should be okay there.

The wood flooring was left in in the same room for 8 days and the underlying floor is just wooden floorboards(old ones.) and we have not had any trouble with these.

Well, I'm at a lost as to what happened.
Not sure if there are quick-fixes for this. Get your 'craftsman' back in?

Sponsored Links
the only thing i can think of

is the flooring in a room where water is present through a leak evaporation or even a spillage!!!!!

Besides tackling to possible moist problem, your 'craftsman' did make a mistake in not nailing every board.

Now the 'floating' boards act differently to the problem than the nailed boards.
Call him back! And make sure he puts in a nail every 30 - 40 cm.

Is the under floor space ventilated properly...if the house is old there may be no oversite concrete and damp membrane....only soil. :( Only applies if a ground floor.....you didn`t say ;)

It is the ground floor. It has ventilation holes all around the outer walls and these do not appear to have any blockages. We have lived in the house for years and have not had any problem with damp or water leakages.
I had a another flooring workman came and have a look and He is of the opinion that not enough expansion gap was left all around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back