Expansion tanks - how high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm flooring the loft and will take the opportunity to replace the two lidless uninsulated scum filled 16 litre expansion tanks (one for the boiler, one for the Aga).

At present, they're perched on a rickety tower. Is this necessary or can I just stand them on the loft floor? Aga and boiler are on the ground floor, loft is above the first floor. The overflows are long pipes which go up to the ridge and then double back. Again, is this necessary? Main cold water tank sits on the loft floor.

Many thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
What you call the overflows are the vent pipes. The overflow pipes are the 22mm plastic ones. The vent pipes would normally extend about 200mm above top of tank.

The feed and expansion tanks only need to be higher than the highest part of the system they serve, so if you have no rads above floor below they can both sit on the attic floor.

You don't need to replace them un less they're damaged, I just scrub them with a stiff brush, and syphon all the crud out. Block the outlet before you do though, you don't need all that stuff in the system.

Sponsored Links
I knew someone would say "but they're 21.5mm" and I should have guessed who it would be. I thought 22mm was a reasonable approximation.

No, nothing. I expect they've got their hands full with the last minute adjustments to the new BRs for next week.

Fair point. I should have realised earlier that, judging by the tiny amount of thought that goes into them, a lot of work is being done at the last minute :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back