Hot water from expansion pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could anybody advise me. I have hot water coming from expansion pipe to expansion vessel. It never overflows and pump is on 2nd setting. Recently had boiler moved from kitchen to upstairs. Have had powerflush.
Does header tank need to be positioned higher in loft? at present on floor to loft. Please help. Many thaks[/code][/list]

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean that you have water coming from the expansion pipe into the F/E cistern. This is usually what is called "pumping over" , usually caused by the pump speed being to fast (speed 3). The cistern won't fill up because the water excess water will run out of the over flow.

I don't know how much head you hav( distance vertivcally from pump to F/E. It could be the pump speed, however it sounds as if the pump has been fitted in the wrong position.

The water from expansion pipe is never reaching overflow pipe. Seems to be recirculating from the F/E cistern. Boiler is approx 3ft below the F/E cistern and 10 ft away from airing cupboard to which the F/E cistern is above. Pump is connected right way round and the F/E cistern feed and expansion pipe is connected before pump.

I think your saying that the F/E water is recycling. Theoretically this is possible, even without a pump. I suggest you turn off the pump to stop the cycling, then adjst the speed to 1, and then turn pump/system back on and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Have turned pump to 1 setting. Water still flowing same amount from expansion pipe

feed and expantion configuration must be wrong. should be within 150mm of each other.

I agree with Fitz 1, the configuration must be wrong. Is the pump pumping to the vent???

the first pipe from pump flow is to three port valve. By the way thanks for your time ;)

Could be cylinder coil. If the F/E is lower than main storage cistern and water comes from expansion vent when pump is off then its the cylinder.

Turn off supply to main cistern and see if level falls. I.E if the water coming out of expansion vent is coming from main cistern then it must be the cylinder.

but if was cylinder coil the water would rise in F/E cistern, which it never does. Also water storage tank and F/E cistern same level. Tht water only flows from expansion pipe when heating and water turned on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back