Hot water from expansion pipe

Sponsored Links
just checked it and still hot clear water at a rate of one litre a minute on speed 1 from pump. Level on F/E cistern still staying same.

Have tried turning thermostat down on boiler before. Have noticed as soon as boiler fires up from cold, water almost immediatly starts to come from expansion pipe on F/E cistern

Sponsored Links
If its not the cylinder or the boiler temp too high, then it must be the pump position. Where do the feed and vent pipes connect? Are they 150mm apart?

Are the feed and vent pipes both(together) on the flow or return pipework?

best way i can explain it is: the arrow on pump is going towards three port valve approx 2 ft. The feed and vent pipes are approx are two ft before entering pump.

What is the height of the expansion pipe? i.e. Is it rasied well above the tank and then drops in the shape of a big U or does it only just go over the edge of the tank with the end just above the water line? If it's the latter, then this could be the cause of the recycling of water. You need to raise the expansion pipe well above the tank to stop this from happening and set the pump to mark 1.

The pump is sucking water in from the feed and pushing out of the vent. Move the pump to the other side of the pipes and reverse the feed and vent order.

Personally I would do away with the F/E and fit an expansion vessell.

All seems perfectly clear to me, which means I've probably misread, so sorry.

There's a blockage between the vent and feed. WHich is common. That means that the pressure on the bottom of the vent pipe is higher than that at the bottom of the feed pipe.

The pump develops a few metres head. If the top of the loop of the vent pipe is say 300mm above the level of water in the tank, then that's all the extra pressure it takes to pump over.

Hard blockages are often not shifted by powerflushing, you have to cut the pipe out. But if the pipe to the pump is straight, you could possibly poke someting back up the pipe (like 15mm pipe or a long drill bit) to dislodge it.

To prove the point get yerself a magnetic pick-up tool. It'll probably stick to the pipe where the blockage is because of the ferrous content of the grot.

If you have a wet-vac then try sucking at the vent pipe with the pump off, you might be lucky. Then try blowing (air) down the vent pipe - with a lid on the f/e tank or you'll get wet, but again you might dislodge something.

If that doesn't work, how old is the pump and do you have an sds drill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back