Exploding Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Just fitted a new 400W IQ dimmer as replacement for a light switch. Immediate result was a smell of burning. On investigation inside the black plastic back cover discovered burned resistor and cracked diode.

No MCB trip. Replaced light switch and all's well. Load was 4 50W mains halogen downlighters.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
did the lights come on when it was burning?

EDIT: could have been a dodgy switch since the old 1 works

Can't say for sure since I was elsewhere switching the power back on. No sign of light when I got back to it

Sponsored Links
When I took the back off and stared at it closely I saw this broken diode. Not the big black rectifier diode, but a glass with red stripes signal or zener. Not easy to tell which since the body of it was shattered.

Odd thing about it was that the lead in wires either end were not pointing towards each other. Both were pointing downwards towards the circuit board. Not so much as to be completely incredible, but rather odd. It would not really expect the blast from an exploding diode to push the end wires down like that, but perhaps they could. The other explanation might be that it was already crushed before it was assembled. No sign of damage to the back cover. (except a bit of melting from the burnt out resistor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back