exploding t.v.

Sponsored Links
switching off at the socket doesn't remove an earth or neutral path and some components such as filters would be connected to ground producing a possible path. so in hindsight perhaps the advice to unplug is the best way.

Its not uncommon for the old jam jar type radio valves to soft implode if the anodes have been overrun - in fact a vernier caliper is sometimes used on second hand ones to look for signs of a hard life. (a Radio Rally flea market trick I'm afraid)
After a while it looks noticabley 'sucked in' at the sides, which of course, it is.
I can belive that if heated enough a TV tube would go the same way - as the glass is in compression rather than tension, there is no incentive for it to blow outwards - it is only the violence of a shock implosion that throws the glass around - if it happens slowly I expect no rebound.

i dont believe those claims that tvs etc use 80% of the power when on standby. I mean, how can a little red light and a IR sensor use as much as a CRT? Maybe old sets made in the 60's used 80%, but modern sets - i find this hard to believe.

Sky boxes are a different matter. They have the capacity to dial out overnight to transmit data, so there must be microchips and processors working there. They dont take too kindly to being switched off at the plug anyway, so its best to leave them on, when switched back on, they have to do a system reboot and take about a minute to start up. I cant wait a minute to start watching telly. I dont even like waiting for the CRT to warm up! Arent i impatient???

I have a TV and sky box in my bedroom. I turn the tv off at the off button before sleep, but the sky box remains in standby.

Kendor - heard of double pole switched sockets?

Shops where i work have computers in their offices. the base units are tucked away under the desk and usually get shoved behind stacks of A4 paper and UPS's and a tangle of ethernet cables and routers (basically no ventilation). They never get switched off (cant because they perform overnight routine at 2am), but i have never heard of one breaking down.

Sponsored Links
One of my friends gave me a cheap Super market telly which had been making funny noises so she switched off. Pulled the back off pluged in and was rewarded with a fantastic pyrotechnic display :D It was like the Line Transformer turned into a Roman candle with a very violent multi-coloured flame! Looked impressive but I didn't wait long to remove the power :eek:
Tellies do have a heck of a lot of energy inside - voltages upto 30,000V Very low current though but yes if a major ssafety component doesn't do it's job then somthing is going to give in that isn't meant to.... However in standby the only components that are 'active' are those involved with control i.e. front buttons and remote reciever / micro etc.

At night I always switch my telly off at the mains switch (normally they isolate L&N) afterall it doesn't take a great deal of energy to walk across the room at the end of the night does it?
80% seems a bit silly more likely the first sets that required a 'standby' mode (i.e. early 80's) but I really don't know with modern stuff I would say your average telly should consume about 1 - 5W???
Lots of people think standby keeps the cathodes warmed up this is utter rubbish though.
You got me scratching my head - I might test my telly now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back