Exposed copper pipe for garden tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have about 2m of exposed copper pipe on the outside of the house leading to a standard garden tap. I have an isolator valve on the inside of the house so I can drain the pipe in the winter. However , this is not fool -proof as I got caught out by a frost when the pipe was full of water, and burst. Does anybody know of any good outside lagging/insulation that I could wrap around the pipe in case I get caught out again?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The lagging doesn’t stop frost, only delays it. Are you able to run the pipe inside at all?

I have a electric trace heat wire wrapped round and lagged 2 metes of pipe like yours , but I don't have isolate stop tap on this pipe so cannot drain.
I put this on in October switch off May, does not use much electric.

Never had a problem with icing up.in the 20 years it's been installed.

Others may have a better solution.

I lagged our pipes and boxed them in. When winter calls i make sure to wrap the exposed tap in rags. So far so good.

Sponsored Links
No, not really. I’ll try the insulation that claims to be weather proof. This may help if I get caught out by sudden frost. Otherwise , I’ll try to be more vigilant and drain the pipe

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have a electric trace heat wire wrapped round and lagged 2 metes of pipe like yours , but I don't have isolate stop tap on this pipe so cannot drain.
I put this on in October switch off May, does not use much electric.

Never had a problem with icing up.in the 20 years it's been installed.

Others may have a better solution.
Hi , never heard of this?- can you elaborate? Is this an ‘off the shelf’ product ?

An alternative to Trace Heating is Impedance Pipe Heating where current is driven through the pipe. A very low voltage applied to the ends of the pipe creates a current along the pipe that is high enough to create heat in the copper pipe.

This method was used by a friend many years ago as a temporary fix on a few metres of a pipe which could not be accessed for conventional trace heat. It was in use for several years before the building was demolished.,

The down side is that a bespoke transformer is needed to provide the isolated very low voltage / high current supply.

Google "impedance pipe heating"

A colleague worked on something similar in one of his previous roles, 230KV in, one turn secondary at about 100,000 amps for resistance smelting in a blast furnace. But get the turns ratio right and it will work a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back