Ext. Light fitting with PIR & Dusk Till Dawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have
upload_2015-9-25_16-45-10.png
one of these that has pir & dusk till dawn setting, when I bought it it said it would work with a cfl bulb, it didn't but that wasn't a problem.
Just wondered if it would work with an LED bulb, I don't want to buy a bulb & find it will not work, anyone out there can throw any light on the subject I would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
If the sensor has three wires going to it ( Live, Neutral and Switched Live ) and makes a click sound when it turn the light ON or OFF then it is likely to work with an LED but not 100% certainty.

Having a Neutral supply to the sensor means it is not relying on a small current through the lamp when OFF to power the sensor.

A click indicates a mechanical relay is controlling the lamp so no leakage through a solid state switch and its suppressors.

But there may be a contact suppressor on the relay contacts and that could leak a trickle of current that is enough to keep the LED lamp dimly light when OFF. That can be dealt with by fitting a suppressor across the LED lamp to absorb that trickle

Is it the type which light dimly from dusk till dawn and the brighten when someone approaches?

Generally they only work (properly) with incandescent lamps.

Sponsored Links
If the sensor has three wires going to it ( Live, Neutral and Switched Live ) and makes a click sound when it turn the light ON or OFF then it is likely to work with an LED but not 100% certainty.

Having a Neutral supply to the sensor means it is not relying on a small current through the lamp when OFF to power the sensor.

A click indicates a mechanical relay is controlling the lamp so no leakage through a solid state switch and its suppressors.

But there may be a contact suppressor on the relay contacts and that could leak a trickle of current that is enough to keep the LED lamp dimly light when OFF. That can be dealt with by fitting a suppressor across the LED lamp to absorb that trickle
Will check that out. Thanks

I know one of those fittings that works with a CFL bulb. Supposed to have a halogen candle bulb as per instructions but they don't last 5 mins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back