extarctor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting a extractor fan in the bathroom via a isolator, Iv'e been told to use three core, red yellow,blue,with a bare copper strand which will marry up to the wire the electrian put in before he legged it. My problem is where do all the wires go??The isolator has L1 L2 N on the bottom & on the top. The extractor has L N Ls, any help please.

hhearnc, please note 20 your post has now been split, the post you replied to was made in October 2003

Sponsored Links
Look in the sticky at the top of the list. There should be something in there about fans.

hhearnc said:
Hi, I'm fitting a extractor fan in the bathroom via a isolator, Iv'e been told to use three core, red yellow,blue,with a bare copper strand which will marry up to the wire the electrian put in before he legged it. My problem is where do all the wires go??The isolator has L1 L2 N on the bottom & on the top. The extractor has L N Ls, any help please.
Are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations?

securespark said:
Look in the sticky at the top of the list. There should be something in there about fans.
I'm a U2 'n' Bowie fan, am I in there ??

Sponsored Links
What wire did the electrician leave? And where does it come from? An 'isolator'? What do you mean by that?

3 core and earth is for a permanent live, switched live, neutral and earth. The permanent live is usually red and is so the fan can remain on for a set time when you've switched the switch to off to remove steam. The switched live is usually yellow and is so you can er, switch it on. The neutral is usually blue and the Earth is usually bare but must be covered with green/yellow sheath. Who told you to use this anyway?

So I guess you have a timed fan. Did it not come with any instructions?

The electrician left the three core wire in a box in the wall which comes from the pull switch. I'm fitting a isolator in this box using the three core cable, It is a timed fan and it has instructions but the wirering is different to what I have been left, I just need to no where the wire's go.

hhearnc said:
The isolator has L1 L2 N on the bottom & on the top.
L1, L2 for either of the lives, N for neutral.

The extractor has L N Ls
Permanent Live, Neutral, Switched Live. You'll need to identify which core is which in the 3C+E that your electrician left. notb655 is almost certainly correct in his which-one-is-which, but you should make sure. Don't forget to sleeve the switched live with red (or brown if your installation uses the new colours), and don't forget to maintain earth continuity.

This is all basic stuff - are you sure that you are competent to be doing this?

2 final questions - one a repeat.

1) Part P. As I've said before, it's nothing to me if you don't care about this, and if you want to go ahead then I'm not going to shop you. But you are aware, are you, that fitting this fan is notifiable work, and if you DIY without notifying your local Building Control dept in advance you will be breaking the law? (Albeit with very little risk of legal trouble)

2) As this is a mains voltage fan, I trust it's going into zone 2 or greater, and that it's IPx4 rated?

thanks for help with this fan & isolator, it is ip-x4(so it says on the box) it is also mounted well away from the shower & wash basin, part p I did not know about bit late now!!

hhearnc said:
part p I did not know about bit late now!!

another reason why part P is useless.... most peope dont know about it

I read recently that there's going to be an advertising blitz. I guess now that the Instant Electrician (just add 10 weeks training) system is in place, and NICEIC have got agreement from our safety conscious Govt that they can register people who've not actually passed any exams yet, as long as they promise to do so within a year, they figure that there will be enough "competent" people to support the increased demand..

Thanks to all the advice I have now installed the extractor fan. However...
The fan is supposed to turn on with the light switch and then run for a while after the light has been switched off. It turns on with the light switch but doesn't turn off at all! It has to be switched off by the isolator. I have tried adjusting the timer switch but it makes no difference. Any ideas please!

How long have you waited? Mine takes 45 minutes.

Otherwise you migt have wired it up wrong.

notb665 said:
That's a bit excessive, isn't it?

hhearnc - try giving it more time - the symptom you describe can't be caused by getting L/SL mixed up - if you'd done that it would only be controllable by the isolation switch, and come on via that, rather than the light switch as you describe.

It's also possible that the timer is broken....

ban-all-sheds said:
notb665 said:
That's a bit excessive, isn't it?

Morrison's have so many reasons to shop at their supermarkets. I have just as many why I don't use tradesmen anymore.

First I would like to thank you all once again for all your help. It's all working fine now. Now I need to find someone to sort the rest out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back