Extend, Remove or fit conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have no dinning area as such, but have a downstairs toilet, we want to create space for dinning. We don't know what will be best have done

1. fit a conservatory on the back of the house

2. Build an extension on the back for a dinner

3. remove the downstairs toilet for dinning space (not sure if it would give us enough space???)

4. Covert existing kitchen into dinner the extend on the back to create a galley kitchen.

any opinions please.

Sponsored Links
i'd go for the extension for dining.

conservatories are no good in winter, unless you install a heat pump air con system like ours, but even then they loose heat like no tomorrow.

downstairs toilet - selling point, dont want to loose this

moving kitchen - still an option with the extension, depends on the layout of your house.

Down stairs layout is front door to hallway, which leads onto the lounge door through to the kitchen on the right and down stairs toilet on the right with rear door to the back garden.

We had thought about putting an extension on the back for a dinner as we are south facing or make the extension kitchen.

crafty1289 said:
conservatories are no good in winter, unless you install a heat pump air con system like ours, but even then they loose heat like no tomorrow.
ain't that the truth. We tried to use the conservatory as a dining room, while we are doing the dining room. This is not joke the room is cold. I'm currently trying to work out how we can heat this room up a bit (without using a fan heater AND radiator).

crafty1289 said:
downstairs toilet - selling point, dont want to loose this
We also have this and are keen to keep this. Problem is it's next to the dining room! Still thinking of a solution.

Sponsored Links
Our local conservatory supplier/manufacturer company do conservatories with slate roofs which I have heard they make a difference with lose of heat but not sure, haven't seen any to go and ask anyone.

We had thought about a conservatory with two radiators or under floor heating with a slate roof.

Also i am not sure we can afford an extension yet but would like to do something soon.

Bazdaa said:
crafty1289 said:
ain't that the truth. We tried to use the conservatory as a dining room, while we are doing the dining room. This is not joke the room is cold. I'm currently trying to work out how we can heat this room up a bit (without using a fan heater AND radiator).
What about one of these mobile gas heater?

Give me enough heat in my conservatory

superserf150sg.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back