Extending 10mm copper microbore to relocated radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm beginning to regret taking on our bathroom remodel. In order to accommodate the bath in the only sensible location I have to move a radiator approx 1.5ft. I'm ok with a bit of copper soldering but the 10mm copper microbore feed lines are hidden about 8 inches behind a stud wall (in the cavity between the bathroom and the outside wall). I don't really want to brandish a blowtorch in the area behind the drywall so I'm looking for an alternative option. Due to the location of the pipes, one would need to be extended by about 2.5ft, the other could possibly be shortened and rerouted.

Best I can come up with is to use some flexible plastic pipe and push fit fittings but never having used this before I'm not sure what would be best to use (?) Obviously any joints have to be 100% reliable and I'm thinking of changing to 15mm copper for the final connection to the new radiator.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
I've done much the same as you with 10mm within a stud wall and, as long as you've got a decent space around the area to be blown, I'd have thought you'd be OK. Especially if you use a blowlamp with a smallish flame. If need be cut the plasterboard back to enlarge the access (plasterboard is so easy to patch and make good afterwards) ... and have a fire extinguisher nearby (always a good idea anyway).

In fact I would emphasize the fire extinguisher - or at the very least a washing up liquid bottle full of cold water ready to aim at any potential mishap .... one of those saved me from certain disaster once - but I'd prefer not to go into details - it makes me shudder to think about it :)

Use a soldering mat too.

Thanks Mr.B, not an advocate of converting a run from copper to plastic then? I had considered removing the entire section of drywall, might be the best option, all things considered. There's a lot of studs and even with the drywall gone access would be awkward.
I've just inherited an old, but still serviceable, extinguisher from my office but it's powder - hope to god I don't have the use it - the mess powder makes!
Cheers

I use 10mm plastic all the time.
Cut the copper in a place where it is nice & circular. File/sand off any burrs use push fit. No problem whatsoever. Golden rule though NEVER tee off to additional rads with 10mm. Not enough output.

Sponsored Links
Invest in a set of mini tube cutters to get a good cut, no filing and mark the depth of the socket of the fitting on the pipe, then you will know it’s on

Thanks Mr.B, not an advocate of converting a run from copper to plastic then? I had considered removing the entire section of drywall, might be the best option, all things considered. There's a lot of studs and even with the drywall gone access would be awkward.
I've just inherited an old, but still serviceable, extinguisher from my office but it's powder - hope to god I don't have the use it - the mess powder makes!
Cheers

No, not against plastic, especially if it makes you life easier. The only make of plastic I've used is JG Guest Speedfit and got on fine with it, it's just I kinda think a copper run is solid and entirely permanent, but that's probably a bit old fashioned.

I urge you to get a decent extinguisher. Toolstation and Screwfix have them and for the price of a takeaway meal they must, surely, be worth getting.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-water-additive-fire-extinguisher-6ltr/34653

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-water-additive-fire-extinguisher-3ltr/97137

Last edited:
Word of warning you can’t use chrome pipe with push fit fittings in case you were converting back to 15mm for show, clean chrome off if you intend to use it

Thanks guys. Don't worry, I wasn't thinking of using chrome pipe.

I'm still undecided. I'd have to run copper behind 3 or 4 studs, that makes it difficult to install without making it into a bendy mess, possibly compromising the pipe. On the other hand, I've never used plastic before and an 'out of sight' job is probably not the best place for an initiation :-\ . I was considering the flexi barrier pipe to make it a bit easier in the awkward location, is this a sensible idea?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back