Extending a dormer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’m hoping to move home soon and the property I have purchased has dormer style bedrooms.

The bathroom however does not and the ceiling is vaulted, eating into the already small space.

Has anyone extended a dormer before and have an idea on cost? I wouldn’t need a window putting in, it’s purely to “box off” the room and eradicate the slanted ceiling.

8F2D7D46-910E-49EE-A4D0-337476C971C2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just rebuild the whole thing they were poorly built and insulated in the first place.

Just rebuild the whole thing they were poorly built and insulated in the first place.

Can’t see that being cost effective? I know they’re poorly insulated, that’s one of the first things I’ll be changing when I move in.

Perhaps what I should have said is pull it back to the timber frame, add some new timber frame reclad, insulate and reroof.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps what I should have said is pull it back to the timber frame, add some new timber frame reclad, insulate and reroof.

Any ideas on how much a roofer would bill me to complete that?

I would start by getting someone to do some drawings, good ones that can be built from. Then at least you will have an idea whats involved and builder\roofer quotes are like for like on the work.

In my dormer it required steel work, so it may not be as simple as it looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back