Extending a Garage forward. Lawful Development Certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A side garage on a semi detached house sits back roughly 600mm from the front of the house. To extend it forward so it is flush with the front, I guess is permitted development? Is a lawful development certificate the way to go?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot extend on the front via PD. The only time this is allowed is a porch over the original front door. As a result of that, you would require formal Planning approval.

As far as I'm aware as long as it sits flush with the front it should fall under permitted development criteria.

Sponsored Links
Does the same apply if it is not forward of the principal elevation?

Last edited:
As the op proposes to extend his garage forward 600mm in line with the front of his house it does not protrude past the principal elevation.

I’ve already mentioned why. A front elevation can have staggered front walls and the principal building line/elevation under PD follows the profile of those front walls. Hence the example I linked to above.

Lol get it now, was having a bit of a mental block there.
Ta.

A side garage on a semi detached house sits back roughly 600mm from the front of the house. To extend it forward so it is flush with the front, I guess is permitted development? Is a lawful development certificate the way to go?
Thanks

It could well be permitted development if the garage is not original to the main house. It would be classed as a side extension to the house still, rather than a front extension if it runs flush with the front of the house. It would still also need to meet the other requirements for single storey side extensions to benefit from PD.

If the garage is original, then as Damo said, it would be classed as a front extension and permission would be required.

If there is no side road, knock it down and build a new one under PD forward and flush with the front of the house.

And by "build a new one", that just means the new front bit, renew the back wall (in the same bricks you knocked down if you like) and new roof. Then its significant enough to be a new extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back