Extending a length of 2.5mm cable - what are the regs ?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be. It can be 25 amps. The cable is rated up to 27amps depending on installation methods. It won't instantly catch fire above that value.

I admit that I have no idea at which amperage 2.5mm T&E will catch fire.

AFAIK, 27 amps is for surface clipped cables. How many houses have rings that are surface mounted? 20 amps in trunking.

I fully appreciate that you know far more about this than I do but I am confused by your earlier statement that 32 amps is fine on one leg. If that is the case why can't a radial be 32 amps?

Sponsored Links
I fully appreciate that you know far more about this than I do but I am confused by your earlier statement that 32 amps is fine on one leg. If that is the case why can't a radial be 32 amps?
That is not what I said. I said "2.5mm cables will not catch fire at 32 amps."

Note that a spur off a ring in 2.5mm2 cable is protected by a 32 amp MCB only.

Indeed, but it has recommended to buy a new cable from the start.
Then stop waffling about how to join ends of cables together,
but a defective joint could overheat enough to create a risk of fire
Note also that the load at the end of the spur is limited to the sum of the fuses in the plugs. Maximum would be 26 amp ( two 13 amp fuses )

Note also that the load at the end of the spur is limited to the sum of the fuses in the plugs. Maximum would be 26 amp ( two 13 amp fuses )
A double socket with 2 unfused 2 way adapters each containing plugs could be 52 amps. But you know that anyway.

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge. At "normal" room temperature, at what amperage would it overheat?

Apropos the spur, given that a 2.5mm radial is only permitted to 20amps, doesn't that mean that there are diversity considerations in play?

I ran a lot of cables at my place with the help of my old sparky mate whose sadly passed; otherwise I would ask him. When we worked on my house he was very keen on there being unbroken cables between sockets, so that's the reason I don't already know the answer to this.
You know the bit where your old sparky mate was very keen on there being unbroken cables. And then the bit where you don't know the answer to your question. Well you do, if you think about it for a moment.

A double socket with 2 unfused 2 way adapters each containing plugs could be 52 amps. But you know that anyway.
Why stop at 2 double sockets on a spur
canny sockets.jpg

Apropos the spur, given that a 2.5mm radial is only permitted to 20amps,
That is not so. I could be 27A if there were such an MCB - so 25A.

When you say buried in masonry, do you mean plastered in without trunking?
Yes, without buried conduit; trunking is not for burying.

Yes conduit, buried or not, is less - because the heat is not dissipated as well.

I believe the figure for conduit should actually be 19A but 'they' fiddled the figures a bit so that 2.5mm² in conduit could be used for ring circuits.
Or something like that happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back