Extending a length of 2.5mm cable - what are the regs ?

Anyway...Back to the OP, Do it properly or don't do it at all....If a sparky used all your bits of scrap cable to extend a ring you would be on here moaning

Sponsored Links
Do the job properly! New cable and forget the expence. If you so much bits of cable around weigh it in for scrap.

As for using Choc blocks - in the past I found a tenant who had 'extended' off a spur on the ring main to a 13amp socket (putting the socket in the bathroom of all places) had 3 wires in the choc block terminals 2x2.5mm & 1x1mm, the 1mm was supplying the 'new' socket. Been running a washing machine on the socket.
I found the dodgy connection when asked to investigate why when the washing machine was in use the TV picture was 'fuzzy'. I found the problem - the choc block by smell - the odour of warm plastic. The choc bloc join had been hidden in behind the Bathroom heater. The chock block plastic was slowly melting from the heat of the connections in the Chock block getting loose and going high restance.

Hi everyone,
Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. Some interesting opinions. I don't necessarily agree with all of them.

SUNRAY - With regards to your comment on the first page - you would be wrong to assume that. That is the trouble with the internet. It's easy to make assumptions. You've made assumptions about my lack of awareness. I think the fact I have posted this question demonstrates that I do have the awareness you are claiming I lack. So you've made an incorrect assumption. If I was not aware I would have just done it.

I have developed quite a bit of electrical knowledge over the years working on my own property. Not only to save money but to develop an education on the subject for myself and so that I can help friends who are embarking on DIY.

This job worked out quite well in the end because a section of the floor needed lifting in order to move a rad and so I was able to complete the run without a box. I do agree about the risks of joining cable but I don't agree with the extent of the risk. I'm quite aware that the MCB would cut at the sign of any trouble.

Each time there is an obstacle, sometimes there is uncertainty or error. The error is corrected and one moves forward.. That is how a person learns. I think this forum is brilliant and it's been a great source of knowledge over the years.

I'm quite aware that the MCB would cut at the sign of any trouble.
Wrong assumption.

If the trouble was a couple of kW of heat being created at a failed joint then the MCB would NOT trip.
You've made assumptions about my lack of awareness
No assumption was made. You clearly indicated that you are not fully aware by asking for advice abut how to join cables

and so that I can help friends who are embarking on DIY

I was thinking a standard terminal strip with insulation tape

If you think like that then please do not offer help to your friends

Sponsored Links
Wrong assumption.

If the trouble was a couple of kW of heat being created at a failed joint then the MCB would NOT trip.

No assumption was made. You clearly indicated that you are not fully aware by asking for advice abut how to join cables

Well said....

Wrong assumption.

It's not an assumption. This is why circuits now have MCBs Bernard. You're going off the assumption that the joint has failed before it's been fitted, which is a bit flawed as far as your argument goes. You don't like joints - clearly lol. But Bernard they wouldn't manufacture these parts for this specific reason if they were not fit for purpose. You are clearly liked and well respected on this forum but you are fishing for likes here lol.

It's not an assumption. This is why circuits now have MCBs Bernard. You're going off the assumption that the joint has failed before it's been fitted, which is a bit flawed as far as your argument goes. You don't like joints - clearly lol. But Bernard they wouldn't manufacture these parts for this specific reason if they were not fit for purpose. You are clearly liked and well respected on this forum but you are fishing for likes here lol.
I don't really understand why it was okay for your old sparky mate who has sadly passed to be very keen on unbroken cable runs but it is not okay for Bernardgreen or others on here to feel the same?

I don't really understand why it was okay for your old sparky mate who has sadly passed to be very keen on unbroken cable runs but it is not okay for Bernardgreen or others on here to feel the same?
It's the indignation I don't appreciate not the view point.

I have developed quite a bit of electrical knowledge over the years working on my own property. Not only to save money but to develop an education on the subject for myself and so that I can help friends who are embarking on DIY.

With your lack of even an understanding of even of the basics, that seems like a really bad idea.

I doubt Bernard is at all bothered, or fishing for likes. You seem to fail miserably to understand the purpose of an MCB. It has always been good practice to minimise joints where ever possible, especially hidden joints. Adding joints, just to reuse cable which it too short is really stupid when a full length of cable is not really that expensive.

Joints and terminals are the most likely points of failure in any electrical circuit, which is why they should be absolutely minimised.

Well to sum up the discussion : there are people that like joints and people that don't lol.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. Thanks very much.

You're going off the assumption that the joint has failed before it's been fitted, which is a bit flawed as far as your argument goes.

Insulation tape can fail many years after it has been wrapped around some terminal blocks.
there are people that like joints and people that don't lol.

But Bernard they wouldn't manufacture these parts for this specific reason if they were not fit for purpose

That is the point, you think they are made for this specific reason, they are not made for the specific application for which you want to believe they were made for.
but you are fishing for likes here lol.

I couldn't care about likes,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back