Extending a newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a newel post that has been partially cut off and I want to extend it back to full length. it is 70mm sq so I can't get an extension with a spigot but I can get a full newel, so I'm going to cut that and joint the two.

The question is the best way to join them (minimal woodwork).

Anyone know if a handrail bolt would be ok? or other

thanks

Sponsored Links
At the bottom. it is fixed securely to the stringer, shaped to fit the stairs and dowelled. it is quite an old staircase and solid at the base. It has been cut down and has about 12" remaining. I do not want to replace the whole newel I don't have the carpentry skills or tools and the base is rock solid.

I want to get a 70mm newel cutit to size and attach it to the base.

Couple of ways to look at it. One way is to cut a tenon on the end of the new newel and a corresponding mortice on the existing . Make both as long as possible. It can be done in a number of ways , either by cutting the tenon from the tenon I.e. so it's all one piece of timber , drilling and fitting in a larger dowel or even using a thick piece of metal bar. One disadvantage of this method is that holes need to be drilled pretty perfectly or oversized and a gap filling adhesive used to prevent the post looking bent.
The way I'd do it would be similar but would take off say 20 mm of the face of the existing all the way to the floor and cut the new post with a corresponding elongated shoulder on the one side as well as a tenon. This gives a larger surface area for glue and maintains the straight lines you are looking for without an odd horizontal joint.

Sponsored Links
I replaced the newels on ours, bottom one is easy as you can remove it in pieces to avoid damaging the string.

Fitting the new one is straight forward but requires some basic carpentry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back