Extending an old loft conversion

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 281264

Interested in opinions as to how difficult this should be

Sponsored Links
Interested in opinions as to how difficult this should be
I've yet to see a lofty that builder friendly let alone DIY friendly. There appears to be a lot of alteration to the remainder of the existing roof also. Your old roof will be unrecognisable.

Large time consuming complex job that will need a competent builder capable of much forward planning and organising. The potential for weather damage below is huge.

I've yet to see a lofty that builder friendly let alone DIY friendly. There appears to be a lot of alteration to the remainder of the existing roof also. Your old roof will be unrecognisable.

Large time consuming complex job that will need a competent builder capable of much forward planning and organising. The potential for weather damage below is huge.

The job will be done while altering the roof for a double storey side extension which explains the new added space at the side

Also I did not really understand what you meant by 'I've yet to see a lofty that builder friendly let alone DIY friendly' sorry if I'm being thick :D

Also I did not really understand what you meant by 'I've yet to see a lofty that builder friendly let alone DIY friendly' sorry if I'm being thick :D
You asked a very ambiguous question which I tried to answer with a bit of context.
How difficult?
For who?

Sponsored Links
How difficult for who?

It’s certainly not a diy job...

Definitely not DIY, wouldn't dream of it other than after first fix. Was more looking for some opinion on how much of the existing structure can be used

Was more looking for some opinion on how much of the existing structure can be used
So why did you not just ask that in the first place.

Yes - it is a difficult job.

Yes - it will be weather affected, massively.

Existing structure used - as in roof components? Walls? Foundations (possible underpin)?

There are all sorts of things going on with your proposals, that if an inexperienced builder gets hold of the drawings, he could find himself in a pickle. Its uniqueness means that you will need an experienced builder managing that job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back