extending celling joists help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken out a ground floor fireplace from the 1930's. The chimney had no stack above it but only a vent going out through the wall to the left. However when I took it out i realised 3 celling joists supporting the upstairs bedroom floors were resting on top of the brick work of the fire place and these joists stoped around a centemeter from the brick cavity wall I have supported this with acrows for the time being. How can I attach the joists to the brick wall there is such littel space between the joist and wall? can I bolt another joist to the existing to make it longer? and then some how fix or can I get joist hangers and connect them straght to the brick work leaving a gap any help would be fantastic. :( please see my image of the joists
You may have to click on the image a few times to enlarge it
//www.diynot.com/network/kr5ai/albums/

Thank you
Kris

Sponsored Links
cut back the joists to fit a wall plate against the wall and rawlbolt it to the wall, fix the joists to the plate with joist hangers?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back