Extending induction hob cable

You wire the hob into a connection plate either under the hob or In a cupboard next to it.

You then run twin and earth flat cable to you supply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! So the connection would be deemed accessible for maintenance and inspection if it is under the hob? i.e. you'd have to remove the hob to access the connection? And the isolation would have to be at the CU?

Thanks, just want to be sure before the kitchen is fitted!

Removing the hub is fine for access

Personally I would want an isolator. So that a hob fault causing the rcd to trip doesn’t prevent other parts of the housing having electric.

[QUOTE="Sheyac, post: 4239434, member: 257522]

The questions about isolation are because I see a lot of kitchens littered with FCUs above a worktop or grid switches (especially in new builds) - surely if an accessible means of isolation isn't required then the cheapest and easiest way of satisfying the regs would be to not install them! So why do they bother? And why have a big/ugly/expensive 45A neon lit isolator for the hob if its not needed? Makes me wonder if I'm missing a requirement or not reading regs correctly.[/QUOTE]

Builders are not electricians. Someone is ripping them off selling things that are not required.

Sponsored Links
Building control will test and sign off the installation, not me.
Fair enough - they don't issue an EIC. But surely though their testing and inspection, like all the ones they do for any building work, are to verify that you actually did what you promised to do in order to comply with the Building Regulations?

e.g. if you were building an extension and you promised to comply with the relevant parts of Part A by having footings of a particular width and depth, at some point they would come along and inspect the footings to confirm.

Not being able to self-certify compliance with Part P is one thing, but not being able to comply with it is another, and I'm surprised that you weren't expected to tell them how you would comply so that they could then test and inspect to confirm that you had.

My questions about accessibility are because the definitions are a bit vague - is it considered accessible if I need to remove a kitchen drawer to access the connection for maintenance and inspection? What about if I have to remove the hob to access the connection?
Sadly "accessible" is one of the vague requirements in BS 7671.

The questions about isolation are because I see a lot of kitchens littered with FCUs above a worktop or grid switches (especially in new builds) - surely if an accessible means of isolation isn't required then the cheapest and easiest way of satisfying the regs would be to not install them! So why do they bother?
Because the installations are designed by people who do not know enough to be doing design work.

And why have a big/ugly/expensive 45A neon lit isolator for the hob if its not needed?
Ditto reason.

Makes me wonder if I'm missing a requirement or not reading regs correctly.
The latter, if you think you've read a requirement like that.

My questions about accessibility are because the definitions are a bit vague - is it considered accessible if I need to remove a kitchen drawer to access the connection for maintenance and inspection? What about if I have to remove the hob to access the connection?
Do you think the connections in a socket are accessible?

As, with the hob, if they were not accessible, you wouldn't be able to fit sockets so that they worked.

Thanks for all the advice

The hob turned out not to have a cable at all (I suppose maybe in the European market they might). So I ended up wiring 6mm t+e into the terminals and ran that back to an isolator before running into the CU.

I chose 6mm despite 4mm being sufficient (clipped direct would have been 37A on a 32A breaker) in case of a future upgrade of the hob and an added safety margin as there is a grouping of cables coming out the CU.

Are the terminals
  1. Designed for 6mm² conductors?
  2. Designed for "solid" rather than stranded conductors?

Good point, I consulted the manual and it says that an H05V2V2-F min 90C cable should be used, but what is the UK equivalent?

Cheers, can't find any stockists of it though! Where can I find that cable?

Anyone? Still can't find a 90C cable with the right characteristics

Yesterday, I just googled H05V2V2-F and it gave a number of cables with other names but which included H05V2V2-F as the cable type. It was in the first 4 items found and was sold by the metre. So try googling again but look more carefully at the results.

Not trying to be awkward, but the final choice where to buy is then up to you.

I only found it up to 2.5mm but rated at 25A (3093Y). I'm struggling to find anything higher. Can you pm me any links please?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back