Extending tiles above bath

• Thread starter Deleted member 207882
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 207882

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive any sill questions

I have a bathroom which is currently has tiles extending two rows up around my bathtub. I would like to extend the tiles all the way up to the ceiling in order to install a shower above the tub.

Any suggestions as to the most effective way of doing this? I am fairly sure the walls are bog standard plasterboard over a metal frame. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that the wall itself is tanked or waterproof, but I have no idea how I might possibly be able to check this. If it helps, the flat is a new build, around three years old

From what I see my options are;

1. Remove the edging strip around the existing tiles, strip the paint from the walls, grout etc and add new tile up to the ceiling - the obvious issue here being the lack of waterproofing.

2. Remove the existing tiles, strip the paint, waterproof the walls, then tile up to the ceiling - the problem i foresee here is the obvious risk of damaging the plasterboard underneath the existing tile.

3. Knock out the existing plaster walls, replace with new plasterboard (or waterproof hardiebacker board?) waterproof it, then tile over it.

Could anyone offer any advice? So far option three, apart from being the most expensive, seems to make the most sense to me, but I'm wondering how feasable or practical it is. I've attached a photo of how it currently looks.

Sponsored Links
What kind of shower are you installing? i'm mostly asking because the pipework\electrics will need to be chopped in, so you may be committed to 2/3.

Personally i'd try option 2, if you destroy the p/b go with option 3. For option 2 you can use a paint on tanking after removing the existing paint, then tile after that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back