Extending wiring outdoors for tumble dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

I have a small house and I require a tumble dryer. In order to have one it means I must place it in the shed at the bottom of the garden. This dictates that I must run flex from a 13amp socket to the shed in order to power the electricity guzzling dryer.

I wanted to run a thick flex under ground in a sealed plastic tube. However, this is not my worry. I am desperate to determine if this option is feasible and if so, what type of cable I require.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You must ensure that your cable run is done safely and complies with local regulations for your country. Some basic pointers are that it should be outdoor cable, the tubing it is in should be designed for that purpose, it should be buried deep enough that eg a garden fork won't go through it. For a 13amp single socket you need a 13amp cable, this could simply plug in indoors. If it is going to be plugged in, in your house consider using an RCD, so that if something bad does happen some protection is offered.
If in doubt consult a qualified electrician who is aware of the regulations in your country.

If it's greater than 10 feet or 3 metres then you should also check the size of cable you are using - there's a voltage drop over long distances - probably not a problem with a tumble dryer unless it has electronics

Sponsored Links
jim, did you really register just to reply to a topic more than THREE YEARS old???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back