Extension Blockwork Issues

I understand that there will be no heat radiation to prevent if there is no cavity, but would it be worth retaining the foil for vapour barrier purposes?
The board is still a closed cell foam with foil on the other side..

Couldn't you simply use rockwool insulation?
Given that there is merely 90mm of insulatable space, if it was a choice between 0.033 lambda wool insulation and 0.022 lambda PIR, I know which I'd choose..

Sponsored Links
The board is still a closed cell foam with foil on the other side..

Given that there is merely 90mm of insulatable space, if it was a choice between 0.033 lambda wool insulation and 0.022 lambda PIR, I know which I'd choose..
I've built lots of extensions with rockwool insulation and never had a problem.
My own extension is built that way and it's the warmest room in the house in winter and the coolest in summer.
I've always thought this rigid insulation to be just a bit of a hype to sell something that does the same thing as something else already on the market.
And don't forget the condensation problems that we've all seen/heard of because of incorrect installation of celotex.
A lot less problems with rockwool, although some customers insist on celotex and they get what they want but at extra cost.

I've built lots of extensions with rockwool insulation and never had a problem.
My own extension is built that way and it's the warmest room in the house in winter and the coolest in summer.
I've always thought this rigid insulation to be just a bit of a hype to sell something that does the same thing as something else already on the market.
And don't forget the condensation problems that we've all seen/heard of because of incorrect installation of celotex.
A lot less problems with rockwool, although some customers insist on celotex and they get what they want but at extra cost.
Mineral wool insulation won't comply with regs at that thickness.

Sponsored Links
It's Celotex thermaclass 21, which is a full fill board, but allows for a 10mm residual cavity
It does allow for a 10mm cavity but it isn't essential. It can equally be fitted tight. My advice is fix the insulation in place and build the blocks as tight as you like to it, You could split the difference between the two; start with a 5, 6, 7mm overhang and then follow the bow. Once dot and dabbed you wouldn't know it.

As an aside, I hope you didn't pay Butch and Sundance the full amount before they rode off into the sunset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back