Extension built can I remove old beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Looking to get a roofer's advice to avoid a potential roof collapse.
My house has been extended in the past with what seems to be a well done job (the far end of most of the pictures.
However they seem to have left a few old beams which have no function other than to support a TV aerial cable and to bang my head every time I climb the ladder.
I am going to be boarding out the remaining roofspace soon and am considering if I can remove these beams. One is half of the old central rafter and is which wobbly and I am sure could come out.
I am wondering if anybody who reads this can confirm that the other two pieces of wood the crossbeam and the notched support (old purlin and underpurlin??) are redundant as the roof face that they were once supporting is now gone.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

IMG_20200108_225600.jpg
MVIMG_20200108_225536.jpg
MVIMG_20.jpg

IMG_20200108_225600.jpg

Sponsored Links
However they seem to have left a few old beams which have no function other than to support a TV aerial cable
Why do you think that :?: I would leave them in unless you can get a structural engineer to say otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back