Extension Concrete Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting some work done and our extension concrete base has turned out like this..... The builder wants to level it with latex compound, will that be OK? Or should we be getting a proper job in the first place?

Can pretty much just peel the top surface off at any point on the floor

Any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-154513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-154513_Gallery.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20210313-154444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-154444_Gallery.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Wasn't originally going to be, they'll have to now.

Problem might be that it was poured to fkoor level so any additional layer can't be very thick.

Was going to ask them to grind the top layer off at its all fairly loose, if that's possible.

Problem might be that it was poured to fkoor level so any additional layer can't be very thick.
I have never understood why anyone building an extension would do that.

Was going to ask them to grind the top layer off at its all fairly loose, if that's possible.
Did your builders quote you for a power-floated slab? This process is difficult time consuming and requires skill and would have been a costly item

Regardless, there is little they can do now that will benefit floor. I would wait until the roof is on and all the graft has been done, before fussing with that floor.

Sponsored Links
Building Control officers are key workers as construction is continuing. They may be willing to visit and advise, which will give you peace of mind or something substantial to back up your concerns

Blup

Building Control officers are key workers as construction is continuing. They may be willing to visit and advise, which will give you peace of mind or something substantial to back up your concerns

Blup
Lol. No need for BC nor will they be interested. Its a cosmetic issue and not a difficult fix or a particularly worrying issue. It will be safely beneath tiles/carpet/laminate in the near future in any case.

Yeah it's more of an annoyance and concern about them doing a decent job of the repair.

My main worry is that the don't remove all of the loose surface, tempted to get at it myself with a decking brush!

Did it rain after the concrete pour or was the concrete very wet?
If its loose on top use a shovel to scrape it back, or just leave it for the builders to sort...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back