Extension Drawings/Schedule of Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'd had planning approval to replace a 8mx3m timber conservatory (hipped roof) with a single story extension, flat roof with two lanterns and bifold doors.

I'm going to be involved in the build as it coincides with a well earned break from contracting over the summer and it's something I've wanted to do for a while, however I don't technically have a builder to oversee everything. I'm happy to fulfil this role as I have trades lined up to get it water tight (bricklayers, steel installation, roof, doors). This is my first milestone.

After that I'll take over (electrics aside) and finish internally.

Obviously this is a big step from a bit of carpentry, plastering, kitchens and bathrooms so I'd like to have a good plan before work starts.

The last thing I'm waiting on is the SE to spec out the remaining steelwork and I'll be in a position to get materials on site ready for June.

I appreciate some of the detail may change subject to SE advise, but I have gone ahead and started to put my own drawings together so the trades have something clear and accurate to work off. I would love to get this validated by someone beforehand but who would be able to do that for me?

This also gave me an opportunity to look at the of the brick detailing on the rear elevation as the extensions internal height will be 8ft instead of 7ft in the adjoining rooms (120 year old cottage). Due to this there is a parapet wall which the existing kitchen roof needs to tie in with. At the moment I don't know how the detail of this would look.

I will be leaning on a friend of mine who is doing the roof for some advice, but at some point I need to get BCO involved and I'm not sure when that should be. Should I show them the plans/drawings prior to carrying out any work to make sure they are happy? I would like to minimize the risk of having to redo things or at least mitigate any impact.

I've attached the original 3d model I put together for the architect, his plans that were approved, and my technical drawing (work in progress) of structural components.

The structural drawing is helping me figure out how big the doors will need to be.

Any feedback/comments is welcome!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-04-11 11-13-23.png
    Screenshot from 2019-04-11 11-13-23.png
    1 MB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot from 2019-04-12 14-32-44.png
    Screenshot from 2019-04-12 14-32-44.png
    382.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot from 2019-04-12 14-40-15.png
    Screenshot from 2019-04-12 14-40-15.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
How about a Full Plans Submission for Building Regulations approval with drawings prepared by an architect or architectural technician/architectural designer. You should then have Bldg Regs approval before any work starts on site. That is the normal procedure.

Do you need a parapet wall?

I would usually strip the tiles back and run the flat roof into the pitch. It may not work in your situation because of the hip.

Worth looking at, because a parapet wall with box gutter is awkward and needs careful detailing to avoid leaks and to prevent damp due to incomplete damp proof arrangements.

Dont forget cavity trays if relevant.

Sponsored Links
How about a Full Plans Submission for Building Regulations approval with drawings prepared by an architect or architectural technician/architectural designer. You should then have Bldg Regs approval before any work starts on site. That is the normal procedure.

Thanks @Leofric this was the missing peice of the puzzle. I've gone back to the architect for the drawings. I was convinced there was something I was missing hence why I started drawing up the structural components.

@^woody^ Thats why my question was a bit vague I suppose it should have been "have I got everything I need?" not "what do you think?" so apologies for the poor phrasing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back