Understanding Drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone shed any light on the construction drawing attached. It details a garage door opening with a lean to roof above the front portion. I have labelled the details I can, but there are a few items that aren't labelled or detailed on the plans.

detail.jpg

Sponsored Links
1 = external line of brickwork

3 = internal line of brickwork

2 = head of garage door frame with I beam above.

It's confusing because it's a section, so the drawing shows the head of the opening where the drawing section is "cut" in front of the masonry wall return.

1. and 3. are supposedly showing the masonry outer lines which will be in the fore and back ground either side of the garage door. 2. is likely to be the garage door..?

I'm not sure why the architect is showing full cavity masonry for the garage door elevation returns or why he hasn't positioned those steel beams higher (at floor level) so that they don't interfere with the travel of the garage (retractable type door).

I'd want to se a full foundation rather than built off the garage toe. Imagine if someone wanted to dig up the garage floor.:(

Thanks guys. I'm assuming the dotted box under the toe of the slab is the footing you're referring to Nose.

The steel beems are set at the height of the existing ceiling joists of the garage.... although, like u say, might as well set them at the height of the new joists, which are about 400 mm higher than the existing ones.
Screenshot_20210207-085106_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the top of the rafters are held up with plaster, which is novel.

You have a shiite set of plans there.

Yeah, I did wonder about cavity trays. I assume the text at the side of the drawings explains the wall plate, but agree it should still be shown on drawing.

Screenshot_20210207-200544_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

That's worse than a first year student effort. Crap and lazy.

Well, I've paid for em now, so not a reet lot i can do about em. I'll see what building control says, if they're not happy, guess I'll have to pay someone else to re-draw them

When Building Control raise the usual points for amendments - which they certainly will with those plans - you won't need to get them re-drawn. It would probably be just a case of adding notes to the drawing.

When Building Control raise the usual points for amendments - which they certainly will with those plans - you won't need to get them re-drawn. It would probably be just a case of adding notes to the drawing.
Which according to you the architect will want to charge for?

I don't think that's the point. They are construction drawings for a builder to price from and build from. The builder should not have to guess, and the client should not be paying extra when the builder charges for his guessing.

C'mon guys, you know that the jobsworths at the council must come up with some points to justify their existence.
Whether or not the architect charges for adding those to the drawings is another matter.
Agree that the drawings are somewhat deficient in detail.

The marks are in

Screenshot_20210208-132828_Photo Editor.jpg

Plus cavity insulation, and garage ceiling insulation is different to the living area ceiling insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back