Working Drawing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have submitted plans for an extension which i have drawn myself on AutoCad, I have had working drawings mentioned to me a time or two (not by planning), what are they, are the plans not the same?
Does anyone have a sample i could look at.

Best Regards

Malcoa

Sponsored Links
They're the drawings that are used to build from, as opposed to the ones you use to attempt to get planning permission.

They need to be much more informative, including such things as full dimensions, structural member sizes, foundations, plumbing and electrics, details, specifications to achieve U-values etc etc...

Yes, they are the drawings to help the builder - and the building inspector - know what you want.

Here's a recent one of mine to give you an example of what is required. But be advised that it is not a skill which can be acquired overnight. It took me many years of hard work to be able to produce working drawings like this; my first attempts were - believe it or not - rubbish.

Sponsored Links
I've found in recent times there seems to be a breed of plan drawers out there who mislead customers into thinking that the builders should already know everything anyway and that they don't need working drawings.

What teccies do now is produce a plan drawing then copy and paste some generic b'regs notes onto A4 sheet and hope that it encompasses all that is required.

If there happens to be any detailed design work or if there needs to be larger scale elevation or enlarged details of important sections then....er....tough. Let the builder fathom it out.

There is a local technician to me who does that. His drawings have brilliant 3d diagrams of eaves, dpc level, beam connections etc ......... only none of them actually relate to the property having the work done.

His beam layout, is a thick centreline on plan, with no clue where the beam sits vertically, or if it fits in at all.

And if the builder does follow the drawing, he will find that the rafters and ceiling won't work, and won't line up with existing.

And his customers all seem to notice how he can't be contacted, or is very busy to deal with problems once he has been paid

The drawings look the part though

Thanks lads, your comments are a great help.
Tony your diagram looks just like my planning app so i'm sure my brickie knows where to put the bricks and beams now. :LOL:

3D.......is that a form of VD?

I get the jist of it.............employ someone who already knows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back