help with scale drawing

LOL, what is a Rotring? And is a parallel motion something you do when drunk?

You'll be on about those slide rule thingies next :rolleyes:

Here's Shy and Paul hard at work in the good 'ole days. lol

3429207.jpg

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

Rotring ( & Staedler) is a company that made drawing office supplies - ink pens, proper set squares etc, etc. In the early eighies they developed a gizmo that attached to the draughting head on a drawing board and as you typed it wrote in stencil type script, they were all the rage until CAD made them redundant overnight.

A parallel motion - it's one type of draughting system - basically a Tee square on wires attached to pulleys on your drawing board - so it moves up and down and you can draw parallel horizontal lines - use a set square for the vertical an angles, and try not to smudge every thing. As an apprentice we used to either stick a bit of pencil lead under the ruler of the lad next to us so it drew thick lines up and down his work, or loosen the wires so it wasn't straight or just plain collapsed. Not quite on par with having your balls painted with mould oil on site, but it kept us amused.

As for slide rules you cheeky monkey - I am not that old I had a calculator at school! :D

Funny thing, I used to have a boat called Shy Talk, it was an Osprey - a Sparrowhawk, we used to think it was really cool, but the coastguard weren't that keen. ;)

It's funny - I used to train up graduates on CAD systems at the last place ( I work from home now) and I really would have liked to get them to use a drawing board for a week or so and learn the basics properly.......

Aaah those were T'days tha knows.

Ah Flat Worlders.

An ex colleague still draws everything in model space,...

Hang on a minute - that's what I do. I draw everything at 1:1 in model space and then print through viewports at whatever scale I want in paper space.

Didn't realise I was in danger of falling off the edge doing it this way?

No you're not Jeds, PJR was on about drawing and printing in Mspace, blowing up the details to > 1:1 to scale it. Which seems entirely baffling to me!

Sponsored Links
Ah Flat Worlders.

An ex colleague still draws everything in model space,...

Hang on a minute - that's what I do. I draw everything at 1:1 in model space and then print through viewports at whatever scale I want in paper space.

Didn't realise I was in danger of falling off the edge doing it this way?

Calm down, calm down,................ :D

We coined the phrase "flatworlders" to describe CAD users who do not use viewports. They draw in CAD as if they were simply drawing on paper. Dave (who actually used to be the DO manager) was one of the worst, he would actually draw to scale (as in 1:50) in CAD and then plot his drawing sheet from model space. When I joined this particular office, and showed the other lads how to set up dimension & text styles to work in given scales via viewports, the penny dropped and they realised that drawing everything 1:1 and sorting the scale/plotting out in paperspace is just easier. We try to model the job as much as possible, using 3D applications for some - earthworks for example are far better modelled in 3D the computer sorts all the batter profiles out & works out excavation and fill quantities automatically.

You're all flat worlders :p

Use Autodesk Revit and work with parametric components and a single 3d model .... and do away with model space, scaling, viewports, layers .. the whole lot :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back