Extension - Neighbours against

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have got planning permission for a double storey side extension. My neighbours objected during the process and are not happy with the planned extension.

I have builders starting soon and the neighbour have informed me that builders will not allow access on his property and that no scaffolding is allowed on his property and fences can't be removed.

My builder is on holiday so I haven't told him about this and now am stumped at what to do. Will a party wall solve this issue? I assume they will try and cause more problems when the work starts as well l

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you can't work from your side, then if the Party Wall Act will apply and you serve the relevant notice, then you can obtain access rights for the work.

The neighbour will most likely insist on his own surveyor so you will potentially end up with a bill potentially of a couple of grand. Would that be better spent elsewhere?

Otherwise work from your side and tell the neighbour he will be looking at a crap wall for ever with all the snots hanging off and stains all over the place. You won't see it, not your problem.

If you can't work from your side, then if the Party Wall Act will apply and you serve the relevant notice, then you can obtain access rights for the work.

The neighbour will most likely insist on his own surveyor so you will potentially end up with a bill potentially of a couple of grand. Would that be better spent elsewhere?

Otherwise work from your side and tell the neighbour he will be looking at a crap wall for ever with all the snots hanging off and stains all over the place. You won't see it, not your problem.

Thanks mate,

I don't understand why people are so difficult. If it was any of our neighbours getting an extension we would let them as its their property and they may need the space for family.

I will speak to someone regarding a party wall.

One other thing he has also said he will keep an eye out for any damages or anything., I think he may be trying to make some £, what would I do regarding this?

good luck that crack thats been there for 10 years is now youre fault

Sponsored Links
Your neighbour is a k- nob.

You could ask the builder if he can work from inside. It is possible to work over hand, although not sure if 2 stories can be done....Id guess so. A wall built that way wont be very tidy.

Thanks mate,

I don't understand why people are so difficult. If it was any of our neighbours getting an extension we would let them as its their property and they may need the space for family.

I will speak to someone regarding a party wall.

One other thing he has also said he will keep an eye out for any damages or anything., I think he may be trying to make some £, what would I do regarding this?
Advise him to get (and pay for) his own survey before work starts as that will be his only way to support any claim.

And tell him you're insured anyway so not really bothered about about any claims.

Casually, drop into the convo that you'd hope he does not delay progress of the work as you would hate for the builder to have to work late nights and weekends with noisy drills and stuff.

Take lots of photos, time stamped. Any existing damage noted.

Be very careful to set clear working practices with your builder. Especially parking. You dont want subbies parking on your neighbours verge or obstructing his drive etc. A 2 storey extension could have lots of guys on site some days, potentially 8 vans plus deliveries.

Just dont give your neighbour any ammunition.

Take lots of photos, time stamped. Any existing damage noted.

Be very careful to set clear working practices with your builder. Especially parking. You dont want subbies parking on your neighbours verge or obstructing his drive etc. A 2 storey extension could have lots of guys on site some days, potentially 8 vans plus deliveries.

Just dont give your neighbour any ammunition.

Would a surveyor be best for taking photos etc?

Also is there any insurance I can take ot or anything

You can't take any meaningful photos without entering the neighbour's property.

Photos on their own are useless without an actual comment and technical report about the thing being photographed.

A photo of a wall for instance is not going to show a 0.5mm crack starting somewhere unless you photograph every brick. Don't bother.

On the subject of photos, perhaps forum members could offer comparison photos of “good” brickwork constructed with the benefit of access from the outside vs. “bad” brickwork constructed from the inside only?

IMG_2775.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back