Extension requires second skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only single layer of brick and plasterboard.

Been up number of years and now the single level extension with a flat roof is cracking (through/around) the bricks.

Should I use a concrete lintel with metal in it, more than 1, or a metal lintel or a RSJ cut down?

Should I opt for Thermalite or 4x2 timber (the 2nd skin would be on the inside).

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
I haven't a clue what you are on about.

However, it is not unusual to add either a timber frame or a masonry inner skin to a single skin structure in order to bring it up to current reg's.

A block inner skin will definitely require a foundation as may a timber skin.

I think the foundation is thick enough, there is also a foot of scree down ontop as well. Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
I came back to this thread because I thought you had elaborated more on your original post, but... you have just added more :rolleyes:

Yer, ive still no idea what they are asking.. last post was about as cryptic as the first..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back