Extension roof opinion

Ah I see. Well planning permission is fairly cheap and would be worth it to get some roof windows in. How likely would you neighbours be to notice the top of the roof being over 4m from the ground?
Planning would be worth it to get a decent roof on it. 18 degrees would be good though if you could do that.

I guess your timbers would be 47x195s for that span?

@SpecialK, because that would be over my 4m maximum height for P.D. I saw a graphic on the internet that showed 14.8 degrees, and on another it says 18 degrees for the same calcs. I will have to work it out to within a centimetre, based on my rafter heights , battens, tiles etc soon anyway. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are replacing and/or adding to an existing extension that is a wrap-around then the work is not permitted development

@SpecialK. it will be a bathroom and they could see in from their upstairs window. Im having a window anyway looking out onto garden. Another site i went on today, after i put measurements in, said 16 degrees. I reckon with a few tweaks i may get to 17 which should be sufficient as its not a large roof. Thanks

@woody. no mate, im demolishing everything back to the original house. The crappy old 3x3 bathroom with its roof that is so low, one of my lads at 6 foot 2 has to bend down to pee, and the conservatory that leaks. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think Woody's point is that your original house had a return down the side, that has been infilled with the current naff extension.

If you knock it down and rebuild it then under permitted development you can't go any further back than the furthest back wall of the original house because technically it is a side extension and side extensions can't go further back.

You can do a rear extension from the back part of the house, but that rear extension can't be connected to a new/replacement side extension. Even if you left the current rubbish extension down the side i believe you're still not covered by permitted development if you modify the back bit.

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/wraparound-extension/

@IT Minion. maybe its a bad photo but there is nothing at the side. The slate roof extension, taking up half my rear wall is not pre 1948, so can come off. The conservatory only comes to level with back wall. I then walk through that far door and go down the side of my house to the front garden. Thanks.

Existing floor plan.png

So it's a rectangular detached house. Very deceptive photo. Personally, I'd shove the bathroom back into the house and put the "family room/kitchen diner" at the back looking onto the garden. I have a vaguely similar original layout and put my internal bathroom/utility about where your middle chimney breast is, which was the darkest and dingiest part of the house. I'd try and open some of the back wall (between existing kitchen/diner and new extension) as well, it's entirely my opinion but that series of 4 seperate rooms one after the other seems very odd to me. And a real hike from the lounge and upstairs to the loo!

A decent layout will add far more value to the house than any extra cost.

@cdbe. I know what you mean, it was my first plan. As im doing it myself, whilst full time at work, and limited budget though, its difficult. The wife has also said, that with no bathroom for what will probably be about 9 months, there's no way that she's having no kitchen as well. That middle room is actually the lightest with its big window. I would swop the kitchen though and put bathroom there if she would relent. i have a few months to work on her. If not, my kitchen, with one small window and no conservatory roof anymore, will be very dark. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back