Extension vs underground services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of extending the back of our new (1950s) house. I'll rephrase that, the extension will happen, but I have a few basic questions.

Our adjoining neighbours have extended in a similar manner to what we want to. It will be a full width single storey extension with concrete floor to match existing. Projection will be about 2 metres, about 14sqm total. House is about 6-7m wide.

The biggest issue we may face is drains and water mains.

First water mains. The pair of semis is the middle of 3 in a row. But on the pavement is only one stoptap in line with the gap between two houses. Behind each house, against the wall is a stoptap/meter manhole. So I guess the water main runs parallel to the houses and all 6 run from the single stoptap on the street. Does this sound right? In which case is it permitted to relocate our water meter further along the main so it is alongside the extension and simply build over the pipe?

The drain. Again, this seems to run along the back of the 6 houses. Next doors extension appears to have a concrete lintel at ground level to span the drain. Does this sound right? The neighbours have told me they have a manhole in their downstairs loo (in the extension) but we would reloc the manhole alongside the extension with the water meter, as there are two gulleys along the back of the house for some reason, as well as the soil stack. All this will be moved for the extension so the only pipes under the extension will be an uninterrupted length of drain and the same of water main, though we dont know what this is made of yet. It enters the house as lead.

I'll knock up a diagram.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
20161022_212840.jpg

Sounds like a good plan. We renew all drains beneath our extensions. You will need to gain permission from the water company of course.

All drains must be lintelled over with adequate clearance all round. Water pipes just need sleeving where they pass through concrete etc. We usually split a gutter down pipe, slot it over the water pipe then duct tape the joint and the ends.

Sponsored Links
Isn't this the same as what they do when you have a water search done on purchasing a house?

@Steve - The only issue I can see is that you've mentioned the extension is going to be full width. Does that mean you have space at the side of your property that is your land to relocate the services as you've suggested?

I've just embarked on something similar at my house and have moved the manhole as you suggest in your drawing.

The water mains layout is almost identical to mine too, but the common stop tap is in my neighbour's front garden. Fortunately I moved in 5 years ago and the water board decided to stick a meter on my house so I now have an independent supply from the rest of the houses and its in nice blue plastic rather than 15mm copper. They also forgot to change me to a metered supply so I'm still paying rates.

Yes there's about 6-7ft between the edge of the house and the boundary. So plenty to play with in terms of locating the Services though while the excavation takes place access may become difficult!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back