Extension wall not built correctly?

I'm concerned that :

(a) is this the correct way to build a wall?

yes and no, ok as its your wall, no ok if it was my wall,

(b) my kitchen units are thus not screwed into an internal wall of brick but into the plasterboard. Is this ok?

yes its ok as long as you do not put things in them.

Sponsored Links
(b) my kitchen units are thus not screwed into an internal wall of brick but into the plasterboard. Is this ok?

yes its ok as long as you do not put things in them.

IIRC, a few years ago, some guy invented longer screws for this very purpose :p

Is it 'normal' for a regular extension roof to be covered in one layer of green mineral felt? I thought 3 layers of torchon was standard procedure...? (Or so I've been told by several roofers who have inspected)

Yes there are several single layer systems available, all with similar (or greater) life expectancy to multi-layer systems

I wonder why these other roofers did not know about these? :rolleyes:

Is it 'normal' for a regular extension roof to be covered in one layer of green mineral felt? I thought 3 layers of torchon was standard procedure...? (Or so I've been told by several roofers who have inspected)

Yes there are several single layer systems available, all with similar (or greater) life expectancy to multi-layer systems

I wonder why these other roofers did not know about these? :rolleyes:

They each said (independently) that the roofers used the cheapest type of mineral felt---the one usually used for garden sheds. If I'd show you pictures I think you'd understand..

Sponsored Links
I see

There is nothing wrong with single layers per se, but yes, it does have to be the correct felt

Likewise, three layers of crap poorly fitted felt does not mean its acceptable just because there are three layers

Generally, though, I appreciate your skepticism, Woody. I wasn't coming on here trying to say that the entire extension is a load of rubbish (I sincerely hope it isn't!)

However,.... the roof has been damned by more than 1 roofer, I never got a certificate from the electrician, the contractor only advised me to apply for Building Notice not full plan (and actually only applied several days after the foudnations had already been dug)...and now it seems the walls weren't built in the most orthodox manner. All of which add up to create a rather uninspiring picture...

My contractor mentioned the name of the BC surveyor he used, but when I called BC today they said he's left a few weeks ago (The plot thickens)--I'll need to call next week to talk to his line manager (the area manager) to find out if the job was above board. If not, well, I would be quite disappointed to learn that a BC surveyor could not be relied upon.

Will keep you posted

What don't you understand? I, the homeowner, happened to see the foundations being dug. That doesn't mean I saw any technical drawings (I haven't) nor do I know the precise specifications etc...I assumed that these would have had to have been submitted to BC, hence my original post...
No that's the whole point of a Notice for jobs like this, no drawings need be submitted to Building Control, it is all approved on site, unless there were structural elements required in which case a structural engineer would need to have been employed along the way.

Building Regs Approval does not guarantee of a good build.

A Notice is only a good way to go if the builder knows what he's doing.

It proves that certain pieces of work carried out during the build comply with the regulations or should do if the inspector is a goddun. If he wasn't ......

This is why finding a really really good builder is undoubtedly the single most important thing when having work done if proceeding on a Notice and you don't expect to be hands on yourself.

It actually 'guarantees' absolutely nothing to you.

But what the inspections do attempt to achieve, is to try and ensure
a very minimum level of structural stability exists (wont blow or fall over)
a basic [theoretical] level of damp-free interior (though other poor design or building work quality defeat this),
and a possibility that the thing will stay up for a brief time in case of a fire to allow you to get out of a window or door

That's it

Even after the very minimum number of inspections (5?) there is no responsibility on the BCO doing an accurate inspection and you have no come-back on the BCO if he fails to do his job properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back