Extension wall not built correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My contractor did not build 2 rows of bricks with the insulation between. Instead, he used thick breezeblocks - then came the insulation, then the plasterboard.

I'm concerned that :
(a) is this the correct way to build a wall?
(b) my kitchen units are thus not screwed into an internal wall of brick but into the plasterboard. Is this ok?

The contractor used a Building Notice, not Full Plan - would that have allowed them to get away with anything naughty?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Building a wall with the insulation on the exposed face of the inner leaf is just an alternative way of building a wall, albeit a less practical one.

There are instances where building a wall with the insulation facing the inner leaf is unavoidable, particularly when the space to build a full cavity (i.e. 100mm) is not available.

However, given the choice, i can not think of any reason why a builder would choose to do it that way over fitting the insulation into a cavity wall scenario.

Especially in a kitchen where there are loads of fixing to the wall. :rolleyes:

(b) my kitchen units are thus not screwed into an internal wall of brick but into the plasterboard. Is this ok?
Don't put anything heavy in the wall units. :eek:

exacly what i told my wife. bit silly, though, to have to be this cautious with a brand new kitchen.

i imagine they did it this way to save time... (or because the local merchant had a special offer on breezeblocks)? Glad to hear though that it is a valid alternative method

Sponsored Links
If i had been designing or building this project, there is no way i would have suggested building or gone ahead and built the wall off my own back, with an inner facing of insulation, particularly knowing it was to be a kitchen.

It does not make sense.

Unless of course money was tight and you selected the cheapest builder/quote?

Was there a specification?

There was no spec

I am a total novice and (foolishly) trusted him

Don't know if it was cheap ... approx 30m2 for £30k?

With a Building Notice is there any way to find out how deep the foundations were dug, or other details? i.e. Is there a minimum of documents/paperwork that must be submitted to BC?

(I already know my roof was done very poorly - no incline, only 1 layer cheap mineral felt - will set me back approx £3k to redo

I also know the electrics weren't done by a qualified chap. Contractor lied and told me it is all covered by Completion Certificate, however BC denied this)

foundations ! i would be very surprised if you have any, he probably used the big blocks as he was taught his trade using lego. is there a damp corse?

Why is there an implication that just because the builder has insulated internally, that this somehow means that the OP has been ripped off and all the other work is substandard?

With regards to the electrics, it may be that the BCO is actually misinforming you and that it is they who should be doing the checking and are just trying to worm out of it?

Also, roofs can be done with just one layer of felt. It depends what was priced for

But as noseall has stated, its odd for the builder to insulate internally for new work, as its more difficult. But the bonus is that it is more thermally efficient than insulating the cavity

foundations ! i would be very surprised if you have any, he probably used the big blocks as he was taught his trade using lego. is there a damp corse?

Sorry to disappoint you but I personally saw the foundations being dug myself (think > 1m) and a DPC laid (don't know if it was 15cm above GL, from my pics seems it was put above 2 rows of bricks)

Also, roofs can be done with just one layer of felt. It depends what was priced for

Is it 'normal' for a regular extension roof to be covered in one layer of green mineral felt? I thought 3 layers of torchon was standard procedure...? (Or so I've been told by several roofers who have inspected)

With a Building Notice is there any way to find out how deep the foundations were dug, or other details? i.e. Is there a minimum of documents/paperwork that must be submitted to BC?

"I personally saw the foundations being dug myself"

things do not add up here

"I personally saw the foundations being dug myself"

things do not add up here

What don't you understand? I, the homeowner, happened to see the foundations being dug. That doesn't mean I saw any technical drawings (I haven't) nor do I know the precise specifications etc...I assumed that these would have had to have been submitted to BC, hence my original post...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back