Extension wont pass BCO

Thanks all for taking the time. Most helpful and I’ve learnt a lot throughout having this done. The main lesson is move house and never have work done ever again.....

It turns out, unbeknown to me I have a relative who works at a firm where they do this sap kind of thing (not his job as he is in IT). So he’s going to look at sorting me a visit out. Never know might get mates rates.

Anyway, all the bulbs in my house went to LED about 3 years ago (kitchen had 12 x50w GU10 halogen when I moved in. Didn’t need a radiator it was like being on a sunbed). Also had things like induction hob etc. Not sure if I can claim all this is recent enough though.

I have had all my windows and doors for the house replaced within the last 3 months. Wanted it doing same time as extension so this is a good thing. Loft insulation also needs doing as kids bedrooms can be quite cold. I just never got round to it so perhaps I might get this over the line with the BCO people

I fear I have been a bit naive with the architect. The builder recommended him and when he turned up he was a guy 2 years out of Uni who had just set up by himself. His dad was also a builder so I think he also worked for him helping out whilst he built his business up. He turned up in a builders van and wasn’t dressed very well (tracksuit bottoms etc). But he was very polite, I knew where he lived and he seemed on top of things. Besides which I didn’t want to knock him back based on appearances and being a small business owner myself I appreciate we all have to start somewhere. I still think he is at fault over the glazing tho

The builder has been very helpful, today he is saying he will pay for the SAP and any costs I get as a result. He says as he recommended the architect he fees at fault and wants to put it right.

I don’t think I’ll be sending him the SAP bill tho, clearly the glazing was my idea and if the architect was on the ball he would have had us pay for this at the beginning. So whilst it’s an unexpected cost to us now, it should have been In there and I don’t feel it’s the builders to bear. Even if he has been a bit wayward at times with certain things.

Not sure what the lesson is to be learned from this, pay a professional then go through his work with a fine tooth comb to find out what he’s missed?

Anyway will see why the SAP guy says

Sponsored Links
The builder has been very helpful, today he is saying he will pay for the SAP and any costs I get as a result. He says as he recommended the architect he fees at fault and wants to put it right
Thats pretty decent of him.

Not sure if I can claim all this is recent enough though
Yes you can.

I have had all my windows and doors for the house replaced within the last 3 months
Thatll be enough to get your SAPs compliant.

Still can’t get in touch with my architect. Works from home. Is never in and won’t respond to any calls or emails.

Looking into it a bit more I’m trying to work out if I’ve made an error

His website classes him as an architectural designer. His BSc is in architectural technology. So he isn’t listed on the ARB website. I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong as he isn’t actually claiming to be an architect. I never checked to be honest

I need him to give me cross sectional drawings for the sap calculation. I’m going to send him a formal letter explaining what I want from him but it’s looking more and more likely I will need to employ someone else to do this for me now

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Still can’t get in touch with my architect. Works from home. Is never in and won’t respond to any calls or emails.

Looking into it a bit more I’m trying to work out if I’ve made an error

His website classes him as an architectural designer. His BSc is in architectural technology. So he isn’t listed on the ARB website. I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong as he isn’t actually claiming to be an architect. I never checked to be honest

I need him to give me cross sectional drawings for the sap calculation. I’m going to send him a formal letter explaining what I want from him but it’s looking more and more likely I will need to employ someone else to do this for me now

Any thoughts?

This is the second case I've heard of the Builder recomending an architect who is an 'architectural designer' and one that doesn't communicate.

LeeST - I feel for you.

For everyone else let it be a lesson, if they are NOT registered with the ARB then it's definitely buyer beware!

For everyone else let it be a lesson, if they are NOT registered with the ARB then it's definitely buyer beware!
You don't have to be a registered architect to do this sort of architectural work on house extensions as long as you don't call yourself an architect. A lot of experienced architectural technicians/designers/ architectural assistants will know more about building technology/construction than some recently qualified architects, so your comments about buyer beware are a bit misleading. Having said that there is no excuse for not communicating with the client.

Any thoughts?

Why do you need cross section drawings for the SAP calculation? Normally you just need floor plans, possibly elevations and construction notes. The level of detail is usually quite minimal and whatever plans your builder was working to should be fine.

Why do you need cross section drawings for the SAP calculation? Normally you just need floor plans, possibly elevations and construction notes. The level of detail is usually quite minimal and whatever plans your builder was working to should be fine.
This is what I was told by the lot I am in touch with.

Also sent an enquiry to the one recommended on here so hopefully I won’t need it then I never have to go near my “Architect” ever again

To go back to an earlier point, I think it is buyer beware. Now just to state clearly the builder recommended an “architect”. This guy turned up. Seemed to know his stuff and we was happy. Got a nice business card which states “architectural designer” so yeah I go with that. Didn’t speak to anymore as for what I wanted he seemed fine. Spoke to a few builders as they seem to come with more of a reputation but ultimately went with the first guy.

Basically I guess it’s my fault, although actually he is qualified and on the face of it did what we asked for. As he isn’t an architect I don’t believe he belongs to any bodies so can’t take it up with them and report him for doing a drawing that didn’t conform.

When I get an electrician or a plumber to my house and they turn up in a van saying electrician or plumber then I go with that. Gas engineers are probably the ones I have ever checked so choosing him is on me.

I wouldn’t have thought to have even checked what he actually was or that there was a difference, lesson learned for me I think

Yes, but no need to single out ' architectural designers ', do you trust everybody who says they are a 'builder ' :?::!: (y)
I didn’t mean it like that. Especially as I’m unlikely to need one ever again

Buyer beware for everything, never have before to be honest. Always been too trusting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back