extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please point me in the right direction.
We have decided to have an extension on our bungalow so where do we start please. Builder or architect?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say always get some design input, how much depends on what you are trying to achieve building wise and what your needs are.

What is the idea???

Builders build to plans, they also price off plans. Plans need to be approved.

Someone needs to draw the plans first.

As above, someone needs to draw plans, but you don't need an RIBA for plans for a domestic extension - try a local architectural technician.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for replies. Tape measure will be out tomorrow with some sketching :)

That's the best way to start, get measuring and try to plan the layout. An architectural technician might not have the foggiest on how to layout which will work with you. So have an idea in your head before you go to one, also your dimensions might mean he does not need a site visit so cheaper.

Absolutely Tom - thank you.

Noseall maybe I'll have a go at the brickwork too!!!! Don't be silly but having said that many years ago we wanted an extension on our shop workshop and my husband's 'sketch' was so good the builders used it!!! Being a wench and as it will be complicated esp roofwise I wouldn't even consider doing the drawings myself but I will sketch out what I want room/ floor wise. Just wasn't sure if I would need to speak to builder or archi first.

I tell those that want an extension, just to think about what they want or need. It's the designers job to interpret that into plans that achieve those requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back