Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a two storey 2x2metre extension on the back of my house. I have had a few quotes at around £25K which seems fair but each quote has been on the back of an envelope. I know I should be more scientific in my approach but I've no idea where to start. When i ask for more detail builders allways seem to come back with something like"it'll be sound mate", no worries", "it'll be pucker". I think I should be asking what grade of windows, bricks etc. Anyone had the benefit of experience in this area?

Sponsored Links
You give them more details and they give you more accurate quote. So get some plans with dimensions, construction, footings and roofing and they can give you a better idea of cost.

Get some decent drawings, but write out a spec as well. Include in it all of the things that are important to you in terms of design. I've just completed one to ensure that;
Pointing was white to match existing
External cills were tiled to match
Windows had soldier courses above etc etc.

The more accurate the spec is the more accurate the quote, and the less likelihood of variations / extra during the build. It's also in writing!

I actually picked the most expensive quote as I knew they had worked from the spec - the cheapest quote was thousands cheaper, but hadn't refreed to the spec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back