Extent of work needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To satisfy regs/building control.....

I have some work to do on a house, a couple of additional lights and a consumers unit change.

Whilst having a quick poke about etc I've come across that double insulated PVC singles have been used on the 2 way switching as the common.

Question being, do I need to break to the customer that they need to have this rectified to 3 core, or can the work be completed as is?

If left, should I be making a note on the cert' about it???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you were to tell the customer they needed to have it re-wired to the conversion method, which regulation would you state as justification for doing so :?:

What do you mean by double insulated singles cables?
Are talking about sheathed and insulated or about reinforced cables?
Providing the readings come up okay, just note it down if you wished.

Sponsored Links
It's a t+e as strappers and a single as common which is insulated+sheathed.

So all points have a cpc. I just weren't sure if it needed to be updated so all live conductors are within one sheath.

And I'm not sure you should be working as an electrician if you have such a flaky grasp of the regulations.

Do the customers who are paying you know that you are having to come to a DIY site to ask how to do your job?

insulated and sheathed singles are fine provided they are run alongside the T&E at all times so that (a) they have an adjacent cpc (b) separation of phase and neutral does not cause a mains frequency induction loop to be formed.

Quite common in 1960s/70s wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back