Need some advice from domestic sparks..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
today after a recommendation from a previous customer i went round to see an elderly couple who wanted some light fittings swapped.
On examination of installation i found no RCD protection (although it was a recent consumer unit with mcbs) at all and the main bonding was undersized .
How do i recommend they get the extra work done without saying ' your installation is unsafe?' and if they dont want the extra work doing is it ok to proceed and make a note of what needs to be done on minor works cert.

Sponsored Links
If you do work then you are only responsible for the new work that you do. Swapping light fittings does not require an upgrade to bonding - you would need to do that if you were running a new circuit.
The fact there is no RCD protection on sockets that could be used to power outdoors would only be your concern if you were adding sockets.

So you are right. MWC for the fittings swop and note your observations on the cert.

PS Check the earth on the light circuit is OK if you fitting metal jobbies but you'd need that for your Zs measurement! ;)

thx Taylor.

So i should go with something along the lines of 'your installation could do with updating to BS7671 : 2008' not ' when your in your altogether in shower if a fault develops .....'

Nothing that strong. Why would it need updating to BS7671 2008?

In the comments you could put soemthing like this (from my last cert)

• No earth on lighting circuits,
    No RCD protection on socket outlets,
    Earth bonding cable undersize
No supplementary bonding in bathroom

Let them ask you what the implications are.

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression you should not carry out any alterations or additions unless the main bonding / earthing is up to scratch, think it refers to these regs on the MWC.
What type of supply earthing arrangement, what size of supply? What size was the main bonding? What size meter tails? Is there any paperwork with the CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back