Periodic Inspection - Help needed!

My mum's new house doesn't fully comply with BS7671 in that there is about 6" or more of the meter tails buried in the plaster below the CU. It also doesn't fully comply with the requirements for LABC Guarantees - their construction manual states that there should be a 32A cooker supply, and the tight-a**e left that out.
I was thinking more about some of the egregious Building Regulations contraventions in new houses built by some of our major housebuilding companies.

Sponsored Links
When doing an EICR what you have to remember is you are giving a professional opinion, so you need professional indemnity insurance not just public liability, although some insurances do cover you for the EICR.

If you make a mistake some one in theory could take you to court for the money to correct it. I think one would be hard pressed to prove it, however I was worried that I could miss something. Although one can calculate things like volt drop, in the main we don't sit there working it all out, however some one in the future may.

So the easy way out is to find fault with every circuit, if one can find a fault with every circuit then it is the person correcting not you who would have to put the bill if not correct. It's a simple watch my back thing.

When doing a EIRC for the person buying or selling a property one does need to be careful, for the standard 10 yearly test it is far easier, you can be candid with the owner.

Once you realise the worries and pressures for some one doing an EICR you realise why they tend to go OTT. There is a guide but even that has some suspect things in it. One is testing the fixed installation yet the best practice guide tells on to fail or find it unsatisfactory when you find multi-adaptors plugged in, but there not part of the fixed installation!

I did tend to cover my back when doing EICR's and point out all transgressions of the regs found, even things like missing grommets and sleeving.

But they were all coded appropriately. It seems this chap got off his horse with pound signs in his eyes and tarred everything with the same "DANGEROUS AND MUST BE RECTIFIED" brush.

What I would do when I get the form is ring him up and say
"Thanks for providing me with the paperwork. Before I send you a cheque, can you run through all the points and refer to the regulation(s) that have been broken?"

Good sparks often write the reg number on the EICR but if they don't they would be able to recall the regs or at least know where in the book to find them.

I suspect this "spark" will be unable to quote any regs at all.

He is the kind of spark who does not install spurs, he wears them.

Sponsored Links
It is not compulsory to do EICRs.
Except in Scotland for rented accommodation.
This is the best practice guide it is written by one of the scheme providers so it does tend to drum up work, and it does not simply follow regulations. Page 6 shows a picture of loads of plugs into a double socket, I personally would class that as beyond my remit, installation is fine, it's the use which is faulty.

Page 7 picture shows a fault which would require every light fitting to be removed to find them.
Page 9 shows the 4 classes, I seem to remember the IET saying F1 should not be used except where you don't have legal access. For example the bit owned by the DNO.

One should never have a code 1, if you do it is a real problem, as if the power has been removed for testing then the tester can't put the power back on, however unless he arranges for alternative accommodation neither can he turn it off, if it makes the accommodation classed as uninhabitable. I can't remember full list but you must have hot water and you must have lights and you must have a means to cook.

Code 2 needs something else to happen to make it dangerous, it is not dangerous as it is but if XY or Z happens it could be, i.e. some one drills through the wall without checking for cables in the wall first, question is where do you stop? Cables have been put in walls for years, there are a few reports of where some one has died due to no RCD protection, however if you read the report there were many things wrong, not just a lack of a RCD. It comes down to a risk assessment, my father-in-law is not really at risk because no RCD in the house, my mother is, she put an extension lead in a bucket of water because she could see a red neon and thought it was on fire. This is a problem in the home you don't know who will live there.

Code 3 We have again put non metal consumer units under stairs for years, why should we all of a sudden decide they should be changed, I would agree if changed it should be latest type, but to expect some one to change it just because it's plastic is unreasonable.

All the EICR does is alert one to what may need doing, you need a risk assessment to work out what should be done. As said the risk is related to occupants, so with a change of occupants we do an EICR, but until the house is sold the occupants have not changed, we still see where people take light fittings with them on a move, and so it is after the old occupants move out that an EICR is done.

So as said before some one doing an EICR before the occupants move out should expect the new occupants to also have an EICR done. So if he misses anything then he could have the old owners blaming him for missing things and claiming any extra expense as a result. In real terms this means code 1, where new occupants need to live in a Hotel until house is made fit. I don't know one case of this happening!

But the big question is why would the old owners have an EICR done, when as soon as the new owners move in it needs doing again?

No. I meant it is not compulsory for an individual electrician to carry out EICRs - if they are so worried about covering their arses.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I had a think and decided I would just let the buyers sort out their own test and will see what comes back with.

The chap who came round wasn't registered with NIC despite advertising as an approved installer on his website - has now been reported. A week on and no sign of the testing certificate or his quote! As long as I don't receive an invoice I don't care!

I may be back for more advice depending on what the buyers spark comes back with!!

Just tell them the price has taken account of the condition.

Then it's up to you whether you accept a lower offer - or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back