Exterior copper central heating pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15ft. (approx) run of 2" copper piping (2 pipes) running from an exterior boiler house along the outside of a return at ground level in the garden.

I wish to insulate this to prevent heat loss and frost damage.

I am wary of damage caused by rain to cladding.

I also don't want to breach the dampcourse
What do I do?

Sponsored Links
you can get plastic coated lagging as to where or what its called
pass if you wait some of the lads might know
not being sarky we use subbies to do it after ive b******d off :)

Get the thickest/best spec stuff you can, and then I'd still put a wooden box over it, full of mineral fibre.
You'll also need belt and braces frost protection. Use a thermostat to bring the heating ON whenever the temp gets down enough (depends where the stat is). Problem with that is that the house then gets warm at night, etc. So what you do is add a PIPE thermostat, connected in series with the above, which turns the heating OFF when the return pipe gets up to say 10 degrees.

Can you have a thermostat when you already have a timer?

Sponsored Links
The frost stat overrides everything and connects the mains to the pump and boiler regardless of the time.

Armaflex insulation is designed for outdoors (closed cell- the water doesn't soak in) and you can get it in big bores and its quite cheap, apart from the tape. The air con version of Plumb Center has it.

this is great help, Thanks!!

Would u need the pipe frost stat with the armiflex?

That's the place. Daft thing was that Plumb Center didn't do it. Had to go out of the door, walk around the building and in through the door on the opposite side of the same place to buy it. If I have been served by the same bloke it would have been a comady sketch!

remember the boss taking a job on to fit a 2"" solenoid gas valve then forgetting to order it
panic to say the least "you cant get them off the shelf" was the phrase that was bandied about
so i b*****s of to controls centre picks 1 up and sticks it on his desk
you have to order them im told
not if you know where to go hes told :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back