Exterior door missing outer handle - how to insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm renting and one of the exterior doors is missing the outer handle from a previous break-in attempt. Because of the door design it is impossible to substitute a new handle and the factory no longer produces this type.

The door is secured with two other locks, I'm just wondering how to insulate the outside of the door for noise and draughts without ruining the lock? The door still locks and opens from the inside. I have considered silicon and foam but both would probably ruin the lock.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
have you though about another handle and lock plate
either new screw holes as people will grab to shut or loads off silicon if no one will grab it :D

Unfortunately the door is a sliding door with a 3 point locking system, they also don't make the doors any more so it's pretty much not an option

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the input but that's not really helpful, the landlord hired a handyman who did the investigation into the factory and door as well as fixing up some other issues. He installed the two extra security locks but it is only now, coming into the winter, that I notice the draught and noise. I'm looking for a quick-fix I can do myself that won't ruin the workings of the lock. Hell I'd stick blu-tack in there if I thought it would do any good :D

A photograph would be useful.

You could put a door fingerplate over the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back