Exterior Paint problem

Ok I know I said a couple of weeks but .. well the scaffold tower is up and I've been able to have a close look up there.

My observations:
1. bloody hell its high up and it doesn't half sway .. I must be mad
2. the white paint is easily peeled off the asbestos sheet leaving behind the original cream finish which is not powdery, so as per above we know how to deal with that
3. the black vertical wooden pieces are rotten at the bottom. Each one has rotten quadrants on either side so those are easily fixed but not sure about those rotten main pieces. (see photo)

Any ideas how those are attached. Would there be horizontal battens behind them that the verticals have been fastened too and the quadrants nailed on to finish them off ?

I don't know if to get stuck in and rip them off and replace with new wood or patch them up (with putty?) at the bottom and paint them.

Or an alternative would be to rip them off and render the lot or remove all of it and overboard with uPVC

Any ideas what's involved with replacing the wood or other suggestions ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back