Exterior wall round a raised patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, At the end of my extension there will be a few foot drop where the garden slopes away, so I'm going to need a built up patio so the ground is level with the exterior doors. Also I'm then going to need to have a wall/fence at the edge of this patio to stop the kids falling off it :rolleyes: I don't want an obstructed view of the garden from inside the house so was thinking of using brick posts with either wrought iron or possibly even clear acrylic/toughened glass panels.
Anyone have any thoughts or pointers on this?
Thanks in advance, Miles

Sponsored Links
Sound like a clear choice. Acrylic can be quite expensive thou' Try plastics direct for cut sizes. Original perpex is strong, some can shatter, so ask. Some of the decking materials might work for the posts and ballustrade.

Thanks for the advice I'll give them a try. Sorry for being stupid but there is a difference between Perspex and Acrylic panels? Also are there pros and cons to each? Cheers.

perspex is a brand name - like plexiglas - acrylic is a common name for it.

what about galvanised wire rope - seen that used successfully......

course children might try climbing that i suppose.........

trouble with perspex is it does show the bird cack, dirt, sometimes algal growth and it scratches easy........

Sponsored Links
Nice one Studips. Didn't consider galvanised ropes but they may be a viable alternative if the perspex costs too much. How easy is it to scratch? I don't have any dogs at the minute so they shouldn't be a problem but how does it wear generally. Seen the perspex panels in B&Q used for decking and thought they'd be a good idea for an unobstructed view between low level brick posts/bollards - just unsure how much they are as can't find them on their website. Thanks again.

well, as for scratching, they do scratch easily - if no one touches it, then it ought not be a major issue.

take a look at the acrylic that you see out and about on your travels, i've seen it used in schools, bus shelters etc. it's good stuff to be fair and given care and washed carefully will do a very stylish job.

Ok the plan has changed this morning as post and panel system would cost another £2.5K. The raised patio will be surrounded with a small wall with slightly higher brick posts every 6ft or so. I'd still like to go with the acrylic panels in between these brick posts (instead of wrought iron), however, does anyone know how these panels could be fixed?
Thanks again, Miles

Somthing like that sounds good. They are thin enough that from the front you shouldn't be able to see them. I'll have to do some investigating :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back