Exterior waste pipe (?) broken. Help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the black 45 degree fittings by the stack are push fit or if they have been glued?
I can't really tell from photo.
If they are push fit, just pull it off and redo it. Buy the same fittings and copy what's been done.
If they have been glued it looks like you won't be able to cut out the fittings as there's not enough pipe between the existing fittings to attach on to. If that is the case you should pull out the white pipe and use a rubber fernco fitting. This can be put over the fitting and tightened using the jubilee clip and tighten the other side to the pipe when put in place. You'll need an inch and half fernco coupling. Go and buy one from your local plumbers merchant and youll work it out.

Yes, they're push fit it seems. In which case it sounds simple! As silly as it sounds I'd not thought of taking it apart and just matching the parts...which makes me feel a tad dense!!

Thanks for the help and advice!

Always best to ask if you're not sure. There's plenty of good people on here always willing to offer advice. Any probs or questions just come back here. Good luck with it. Make sure you have fall all the way to the connection to the stack. The shadow and angle of the shot make it look like it's falling back once it gets to the black fittings. This may be because it's not properly clipped and push fit fittings can swivel quite freely on the pipe.

Sponsored Links
The strap-on boss connector look like rubber cone, can't see but never know?

Also is it possible to twist back the soil pipe above the branch so that the strap-on boss connector is 90 degree to the wall like the one below branch, and fit clip to waste pipe so it would not drop down.

Daniel.

If above the boss it just runs straight up to the vent then as the tee is push fit you could indeed twist it but it's not always as easy as it looks as it will have been in place for years and you risk damaging the rubber washer as they can get brittle over time. As you are paying for it yourself I would do as little as required. You may only need to replace the leaking fitting and put up a couple of clips.

Leave it well alone....it looks like polypropylene push fit pipe and fittings. As usual the lazy installer didn't bother to paint it so the whole lots rotten and gone brittle in the sunlight. If you're not carefull you'll have the whole stack leaking. It's not your property...let the leaks wreck the property.

Take pictures and email the landlord to cover yourself....it's their choice to ignore it. It's possible the properties leasehold and the landlord can get the freeholder to sort it out anyway.

Looks suspiciously like a house built by a certain large developer with a helicopter, they did an entire estate near me, everything was done on the cheap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back