External gas pipes: how to make them look less ugly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:
I would really appreciate any advice on making me feel less disappointed with my intended costs-saving decision!

I've had a new combi fitted in the loft and it was suggested that the gas pipe should run outside the meter, directly up the external wall, turn at right angles and then re-enter in the loft. I don't have much imagination and didn't anticipate how poor the end result would look . It's on our gable end and now we have the black UPVC water pipes at the front of the gable (if you follow me) and the gas pipe at the rear. Copper pipe and black plastic rainwater/soil stacks don't seem to go with one another....

The wall is 1930's red brick so I wondered whether it would look better if I painted the copper pipe, or could I 'house' it in something to match the black UPVCc pipes on the same wall? Wish I had more imagination...

Any ideas gratefully received..

Sponsored Links
Don`t you only have to wrap it in denso tape if it is buried or comes into contact with corrosives? Putting denso tape on an external pipe would make it look pretty ugly. Fast Glasgowgas, but not quite fast enough. :LOL:

Take those horrible black plastic pipes off.
Who needs them? The water will finds it's way down without pipes.

Sponsored Links
Or you could rip out all your plastic guttering/ rainwater pipes and re-install in copper. :D
Bet you the installer said the best way to run your gas pipe externally was because he couldn`t be bothered taking up floors for what sounds like a difficult gas run, very rarely do gas pipes need to be run externally to such a degree.

... Bet you the installer said the best way to run your gas pipe externally was because he couldn`t be bothered taking up floors for what sounds like a difficult gas run, very rarely do gas pipes need to be run externally to such a degree.
May have had something to do with the pricetag of the whole operation.

Take those horrible black plastic pipes off.
Who needs them? The water will finds it's way down without pipes.

I have done just that! I have lovely big chains for the rainwater to run down. Doesn't work for XXXX though. :LOL:

I see you have taken the time to check, how nice. doesn`t matter what meantime you use, I still posted after glasgowgas, it was a joke anyway. ;) By the way, I make it 23.26 pm, what time is it where you are. ;)

I see you have taken the time to check, how nice. doesn`t matter what meantime you use, I still posted after glasgowgas, it was a joke anyway. ;) By the way, I make it 23.26 pm, what time is it where you are. ;)

Gotta laugh with you, your alarm clock is 3mins fast, over a year is 1 hour and 8 mins you could spend in bed. get a grip of this interweb thingymyjig :LOL:

I have, his post 3.36, mine 3.39. why the debate, is it important? are you his Dad or summat? :LOL:

I`ve just clocked it. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

His post time is still before mine :LOL: :LOL:

Ignoring the time and back onto the original question. The copper will dull down very quickly and blend into the background. Alternatively paint in black. Don't use brushes though, use a piece of card behind it and use an aerosol, much quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back